News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

juno.com email user can't activate?

Started by khigh, December 20, 2014, 11:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

khigh

Anyone ever heard of this?

I'm not too terribly torn up about it, but it's weird and I'm just curious if anyone else has ever encountered it before.

Just walked a guy through registration and it was awful. Every time he tried to register and got his activation email and clicked the link, it took him to a "reset activation code" page.  Tried with a couple different user names on multiple browsers. At one point I had him forward me the registration mail and I clicked it and it activated, but then he still couldn't get in because the cookies were messed up from doing that.

It was every combination of different browsers and multiple computers.

But here's where it gets freaky. I had him try to register on a known good site I've been running for years - same thing - activation link misfired.

He uses an alternate email address, the only variable left, and boom - first try.

I notice when he sends me an email there's spam on the bottom. could they be physically  changing his link?

Like I said - I'm not too torn up about it - it's never come up before, but I thought I'd pass it along as a weird anomaly for those who like that sort of thing.

And if someone knows how to overcome it, or even why it does that - even better!

Arantor

Burke ♞ Knight

Best way to overcome that: Get a REAL email account, not a disposable, spammer email address.
I have that email provider blocked from my sites, so no one can use it to register to any of my sites.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/internet/juno.html

Plus, if want more info, Google juno.com spam, and look page two onwards. :(

khigh

Well yeah I know they're awful, but you can't always make people change. Think 60-something ex-marine who's "had this service for 17 years and never had a problem before and it's only $12 a year!!"

If it was just a random user, I'd tell them tough, but this is one of the "owners" of a community I'm rescuing from a disinterested host. The forum is of a non-technical nature, so as long as he's on, he's OK, but I want to assure him the software's not flaky in any way and that he is indeed a special case.

Plus just out of sheer curiosity I want to know what's happening.

My GUESS is that he reads mail in a browser and maybe there's some "feature" to highlight links or something that's interfering with the code? Like I said that's just a guess, but you know -  Occam's razor and all.

khigh

Arantor

No, it wasn't. You said the link misfired. I wanted to know *how* in case something could be done with SMF to actually fix this. Sorry I bothered trying to get more information to improve SMF or anything.

khigh

I think what he meant is that it's his whole ISP.

khigh

Quote from: Arantor on December 21, 2014, 11:50:53 AM
No, it wasn't. You said the link misfired. I wanted to know *how* in case something could be done with SMF to actually fix this. Sorry I bothered trying to get more information to improve SMF or anything.

All right - I apologize, but I'm not sure what you're asking me.

What I meant to convey was "the second board behaved in the exact same way as the first".

Arantor

You said "the activation link misfired". What *exactly* did it do? I know what it's *supposed* to do but clearly it did not do that, so I want to know what it did actually do instead.

khigh

I'm sorry - I think I have to give up understanding what it is you're asking me.

The second board's activation link did the exact same thing as the first board's

Burke ♞ Knight

Quote from: khigh on December 20, 2014, 11:54:09 PM
Every time he tried to register and got his activation email and clicked the link, it took him to a "reset activation code" page.

This sounds like it's stuck in a loop on the activation code, as if it did not recognize the link fully.
Is it possible that the link's URL may have a character or two changed by Juno's email system?

Arantor

The second one did the exact same thing as the first board's... which was what?

If it didn't activate the account, it must have done something else... which is what? Blank screen? Didn't load at all? Error message?

Your topic here is 'user can't activate'... what stops them? They click the link and something that isn't activation occurs. But unless I know what that is, I cannot help you.

khigh

Quote from: ♞ Burke Knight ♞ on December 21, 2014, 07:28:05 PM
Quote from: khigh on December 20, 2014, 11:54:09 PM
Every time he tried to register and got his activation email and clicked the link, it took him to a "reset activation code" page.

This sounds like it's stuck in a loop on the activation code, as if it did not recognize the link fully.
Is it possible that the link's URL may have a character or two changed by Juno's email system?

That's my thought exactly. That either they have a proprietary client or it's accessed in a browser where maybe there's some sort of formatting "feature" ruining the activation link.

The more I read about Juno, the worse it gets. At one point they quietly changed their TOS that anyone who signed in was giving Juno permission to use their spare CPU cycles, and then they tried to sell that as "The world's first virtual supercomputer"  :o :o :o

I wasn't really asking for help - just curious, mostly. And thought I'd pass it along for future reference if it ever came up again.

Maybe support was not the best place for it, but there wasn't a "Curious anomaly" section.

I honestly honestly honestly can't explain it any better. I'll mark it as solved as it doesn't really require any attention from anyone. I fully believe it's 100% Juno's fault, but if anyone else ever asks, you'll know.

Advertisement: