News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Can uninstalling a mod damage server settings?

Started by teh_Krall, December 21, 2014, 02:33:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teh_Krall

I am running SMF 2.0.

I tried to uninstall PortaMx (not sure which version, but older) and everything seemed to go fine. Then I did a refresh of the webpage after uninstalling and now I get an Internal Server Error.

I tried running repair_settings.php but it can't be located from the web after installing it.

In looking at my settings.php/index.php it looks like a few settings in there are wrong: $boarddir, $sourcedir and $cachedir are all pointing to the wrong paths. This forum was moved from one host to another. It has been working fine for a year until I did the uninstall.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I backed up all the files & database before hand and everything still seems to be intact on the site, just can't get past the server error.

Kindred

running smf version 2.0? ??? ??   really? 2.0?

If so, then you really need to upgrade to 2.0.9 ASAP.

Internal Server Error (aka 500) is not really a "server error". It's an error in configuration or action which the server won't allow to happen.

in your case... possibly related to your SMF site setting chmod to 777 - which your host probably does not allow.
Reset all of your files to 644 and all of your directories to 755 through ftp or your host's site manager.

as for the incorrect settings --  it is possible that your uninstallation of the portaMX mod restored an older version from before your server move. IN which case...   http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Repair_settings.php
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

teh_Krall

Yes, 2.0! You can take my admin card away. I was in the process of updating when this happened.

Thank you, I will try CMOD.

I was unable to run repair_settings as it couldn't be found.

Kindred

You have to upload it...  And then delete it when you are done...

Didn't you read the FAQ page?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

teh_Krall

Repair settings? I did upload it and have used it in the past with success. After I upload it to the forum it's not accessable from the web for some reason.

Kindred

Then you really need to talk to your host, since something is obviously wrong in your server
Слaва
Украинi

teh_Krall

Well thanks for the help Kindred!

Was hoping I didn't have to contact my hosting company.

Could it be a coincidence that when I removed the mod they were doing something to the servers?

Sir Osis of Liver

Bad code can cause internal server errors.  If the mod did not install cleanly, it may have damaged a file.  You should be able to run repair_settings.php with a direct link regardless of the condition of your forum.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

teh_Krall

Well the uninstall ended up messing with PHP user permissions.

All back up now, thanks for the help everyone!

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

teh_Krall

Quote from: Kindred on December 22, 2014, 02:28:49 PM
Which was my first suggestion... :P

You are the man! I"m going to send you 5 star stickers :)

You're not going anywhere for Christmas are you? I"m off to remove more mods and do some updates. I'm going to need your help again I'm sure haha

Advertisement: