Some attachments and avatars are missing

Started by pakwatan, December 21, 2014, 08:41:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pakwatan

Here are examples

pakwatan.pk/forum/index.php?topic=755.msg933#msg933
pakwatan.pk/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=75.0;attach=62;image

Can i know in what directory attachments and avatars are saved?

1. My web host has changed server file path from /home to /home4
2. Now they are using php version 5.4

Kindred

If your host changed paths on you, then you are going to have issues with more than just avatars and attachments.

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Repair_settings.php
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

pakwatan

I have used Repair Settings Tool but they are still missing.

I am still getting this error.

The follow errors were found during maintenance. Check the box next to the errors you wish to fix and hit continue.

28 attachments/avatars have an entry but no longer exist on disk.

Can i know where they are saved so i check manually?

Kindred

I don't know where they are, on your system...   Those directories can be set to anything you want...

By default, they are put in directories called attachments and avatars...   Shocking, I know...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

pakwatan

I can't find any custom avatar in avatars directory. I have just uploaded an avatar. When i browse files in forum, its name is avatar_1_1419179952.png but i can't find it in avatars directory.

Forum shows

Avatars directory /home4/pakwatan/public_html/forum/avatars
Avatars URL pakwatan.pk/forum/avatars [nofollow]

Arantor

That would be because it is not in the avatars directory; the avatars directory should only be for the galleries of avatars, never for user uploaded ones.

pakwatan

pakwatan

I think they are saved in attachments directory but file type is unknown.

Attachments starts from 71.

Attachments 1 to 70 are missing.

I have an old backup Where can i see attachments 35 to 69 in attachments folder. Should i use these attachments? 1 to 34 are missing. Where have they gone?

I did not deleted them. Are they deleted automatically during upgrade?

Kindred

No. Nothing is deleted during an upgrade.   If you have missing files, I would talk to your host and/or look at an older backup
Слaва
Украинi

pakwatan

I found 13 missing attachments in old backup. I have restored them but they are not showing correctly. It seems they are corrupted.

Now maintain Attachments shows this error

15 attachments/avatars have an entry but no longer exist on disk
13 attachments/avatars are being reported as the wrong filesize

Why attachments are saved as unknown file format? Is it related to security?

Kindred

they are not saved in an unknown file format. They are saved in the correct format by SMF when they are uploaded, but the extension is removed and the filename is modified with a session hash to avoid the kirsbarteo hack that proliferated a few years ago.

If you uploaded using filezilla, then yes -- your files were probably corrupted, because filezilla apparently defaults to "ascii" for files with no known extension.
CHange your filezilla to default to BINary and try to reupload them
Слaва
Украинi

pakwatan

Yes, i use filezilla. I did as you suggested. Now Maintain Attachments does not show wrong filesize. All thumbs are ok but when i click on thumbs, some image files do not show correctly. I have few attachments. I am checking only 4. Only 2 appear fine when clicked on thumbs.

I also uploaded them through cPanel file manager but those 2 image files still do not show correctly.

When i browse these attachments files in forum (I mean Administration Center » Attachments and Avatars » Browse Files). Click on files. They are downloaded. When i open them, they all are ok.

It is not a big issue for me as it is not an active forum. I think SMF team should address this issue and find a better solution to avoid hacks like kirsbarteo.

Thanks for helping.

Kindred

why?  It's an issue with Filezilla being stupid.

That being said, 2.1 now assigns an extension... just not the original extension.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: