News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Blacklisted and Forged email?

Started by TKG26, December 21, 2014, 09:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TKG26

So my forum users started to report they where not getting email notifications this week. For PMs or for subscribed threads. Some found there way into spam folders some never received any emails.  I discovered my hosts email address/server was listed on 5 black lists.

What triggered this I am pretty sure of is a email i mistakenly sent from TAPATALK control panel to 1500 forum members. A mistake i did not see 1500 members i though was gonna see a preview.. Regardless i made a mistake.

So contacted my host and they report back i used a forged email address. On the forum i only see one place for an email address under Webmaster Email Address: I use my personal gmail address here always have for 2 years.

A email header looks like:
RC OTTAWA via gator4118.hostgator.com
to:   [email protected]
date:   Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 8:37 PM
subject:   A new member has joined
mailed-by:   gator4118.hostgator.com

Looking through cpanel emial i see 600+ bounced emails sent out. Many im sure to spambot fake acconts dating back to October.. I never look at email through cpanel. So its the first time i saw such a volume.

Gatorhost says its a forged email issue. But i do not know what they mean..

QuoteHello,

As previously mentioned, this issue will persist until your forums are modified to send mail that is not forged. The message bounced because it is still using the following header:

Sincerely,

Jon S.
Senior Security Administrator
HostGator.com LLC
http://support.hostgator.com

So not understanding what hostgator was talking about last night i manage to delist my self from the 5 blacklists... So all seems ok... but is it?

My mail settings.
Maximum emails to send per minute 5 (this was 7)
Maximum amount of emails to send per page load 5 (this was 0)

Any ideas if this can be chalked up to my brain fart mass emailing from tapatalk?  Since i de listed. Everyone reports things behaving as normal..

vbgamer45

You are using your gmail address under server settings.  Most places want to see the same domain such as where forum installed for notifications
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

TKG26

so use the email address i have for webmail in the cpanel from hostgator:

[email protected]

Thats the email address where the bounced forum emails ended up

vbgamer45

You can use that or your domain name.  Free email providers like yahoo,aol do not work well any more due to changes in their mailing policies.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

TKG26

ok im setting up one with godaddy now. IT wil be [email protected] Is that the ideal solution?

vbgamer45

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

TKG26

just a quick thanks for the help!

So far people are reporting things are now working again for them..

I used the [email protected]

But i am looking into a email address from my domain provider godaddy. But some MX records are messed up?? And it will take 48 hrs to complete getting an email address to match the domain name..

Either way things look to be working thanks for the help

vbgamer45

Glad to help. Email can be a tricky thing at times.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Illori

even if your domain is not bought from your host, they should still offer the ability to create email accounts with that domain.

TKG26

My domain is with godaddy
my host is hostgator

It would appear i should have an email address from godaddy in 48hrs..

Illori

then your host hostgator should be able to create an email address for you.

also in time you will run into more issues with hostgator, i would recommend starting to look for a non-oversold host.

TKG26

Not sure if this is related to my previous issues but thought i avoid making new topics..

This user gets this error any time he sends a PM.. First and only person to report this to me so far..

Ideas?

Burke ♞ Knight

TKG26, what I think Illori is meaning, is that through your hosting control panel, you should have a way to make email accounts for the domains used on the hosting account.

Say your domain is TKG26.com you'd be able to set up email accounts for TKG26.com to use. Ex: [email protected]

Hostgator should have that in their control panel, as it is a standard feature for paid hosting, and for some free hosting.

Quote from: TKG26 on February 02, 2015, 10:25:09 PM
Not sure if this is related to my previous issues but thought i avoid making new topics..

This user gets this error any time he sends a PM.. First and only person to report this to me so far..

Ideas?

That means that the person had just sent a PM within a certain time, and needs to wait, before sending another one.

TKG26

Thanks...

He claims he is not sending multiple pm. i beleive he is on mobile. so perhaps a mobile issue? double clicking or something

TKG26

QuoteYou already submitted this post! You might have accidently double clicked, or tried to refresh.

If i send fast PM over and over i get this error.

Burke ♞ Knight

That's if clicking the send on the same PM.
What I said, is the member had sent another PM too soon before sending that one. ;)

TKG26

Ill grill him on it... What if he is PM multiple recipients. Can that trigger it as well?

Burke ♞ Knight

Nope. The system is made for that.
But, it's also set to not allow PM spamming, which is why he got that message. It is set to a certain time between PM's.

TKG26

Talked to the user. We know each other personally. He says its after he sends a single pm. No spamming no multiple messages. He has experienced this from his phone and laptop..

Burke ♞ Knight

So, it after he sends one, but as he is trying to send another one, to someone else?
Or while trying to send the first one?

Way you worded it, it could be either.

Advertisement: