To download attachments in the topic you need to post in the topic first

Started by bry82, December 22, 2014, 04:06:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bry82

Hi,
I have this mod for SMF 1.x (some edits to display.php) but now we upgraded to 2.0.9 and things changed and it doesn't work anymore.

Is it possible to achieve the same thing in 2.0? And how?

attached is the mod for smf 1. Look for "attachments mod", it edits display.php in two different points.

kat

Can you give us a link to the mod?

I tried a search and didn't see one, like you describe.

bry82

Quote from: K@ on December 22, 2014, 05:59:16 AM
Can you give us a link to the mod?

I tried a search and didn't see one, like you describe.

It's not a  public mod, you can see it  inside the file I attached. An ex staff member of our forum wrote it years ago.

Arantor

Surely that just leads to people making one line posts before downloading?

Rumpa

Kindred

Rumpa,  Before you go trying to re-release the mod - let us get a link to the actual mod so we can a) check the actual edits and b) check the license.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Rumpa

Quote from: Kindred on December 22, 2014, 09:55:59 AM
Rumpa,  Before you go trying to re-release the mod - let us get a link to the actual mod so we can a) check the actual edits and b) check the license.
of course but I have not getting mod link.

Arantor

Well, there isn't a link since it was built privately and never released before, so there is no licence per se.

In any case this is not a trivial mod to replace for someone not thoroughly familiar with SMF, PHP and SQL - and I get the feeling there is a shortage of one or more of these skills in place.

Rumpa

Arantor

Technically, probably because it's been provided here by the person it was built for, but practically I'd have to say no because without being funny I doubt you have the skills required to do it.

Rumpa

Arantor

Quote from: Rumpa on December 22, 2014, 11:16:46 AM
why you doubting me

Because I have seen you have difficulty with simpler mods, this one is much more complex.

Rumpa

Quote from: Arantor on December 22, 2014, 11:18:05 AM

Because I have seen you have difficulty with simpler mods, this one is much more complex.

OK I accept your challenge. let me try it for this one make for SMF 2.0.x

Arantor

* Arantor starts accepting bets on how long it will be before there is a thread somewhere on here asking how to make this mod for 2.0

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Burke ♞ Knight

* ♞ Burke Knight ♞ decides not to bet, as he feels the same as Arantor, and would never bet against his bets.

Biology Forums

You'd have to add the code to both display and post.php. Yes, it would be a one line argument using 'userinfo'? Am I write, Arantor?

bry82

Quote from: Arantor on December 22, 2014, 09:26:41 AM
Surely that just leads to people making one line posts before downloading?

We use it mainly for our private sections. It's a very effective way to prevent theft of stuff before we release it. That way only the people working on a specific project can download the attachments 8)

Kindred

no it's not effective in that manner at all.

1- if you have a private section which is protected and accessible only to special users anyway, then it's protected.
2- as Arantor said... if all I have to do is post a message to get access to the attachments, and I have access to the private area....   then I can post "hi" ... and now I have access to your attachments.

so - either you trust the people who have access or you don't... but your request seems to be midway between and won't actually do any good anyway...
Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

If the point is to create some kind of tracking for who downloaded something when, surely actually recording who downloaded it would be more useful?

Advertisement: