News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

To download attachments in the topic you need to post in the topic first

Started by bry82, December 22, 2014, 04:06:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bry82

Quote from: Kindred on December 22, 2014, 01:01:35 PM
no it's not effective in that manner at all.

1- if you have a private section which is protected and accessible only to special users anyway, then it's protected.
2- as Arantor said... if all I have to do is post a message to get access to the attachments, and I have access to the private area....   then I can post "hi" ... and now I have access to your attachments.

so - either you trust the people who have access or you don't... but your request seems to be midway between and won't actually do any good anyway...

If you're not part of the "topic project" and you post "hi" and then download the attachments, you give yourself away as a "spy" so to speak.
We have a very big staff and we used this mod successfully for several years now.

Arantor

So you're trying to deal with people who aren't part of a project but can see the attachment...

Two solutions present:
1. Reset the permissions so people not on the project can't download the files.
2. Actually perform a log of downloads and review that, rather than this weird solution.

bry82

Quote from: Arantor on December 22, 2014, 01:25:22 PM
So you're trying to deal with people who aren't part of a project but can see the attachment...

Two solutions present:
1. Reset the permissions so people not on the project can't download the files.
2. Actually perform a log of downloads and review that, rather than this weird solution.

I know it may seem a weird solution, but we find it perfect for our needs. ^^

Do you think it's possible to have the same mod we had in smf 1?

Arantor

It's actually not perfect for your needs. It solves the problem you think you have, not the one you actually have.

It's not that hard to fix but I refuse to do it because I refuse to solve the wrong problem.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

bry82

Quote from: Arantor on December 22, 2014, 01:46:00 PM
It's actually not perfect for your needs. It solves the problem you think you have, not the one you actually have.

It's not that hard to fix but I refuse to do it because I refuse to solve the wrong problem.

I still like our system better.
I wouldn't know how to check the logs nor I have the time do it. With the topics it's a lot easier for us to keep track of all the projects (over 50 every week, and every week the team members may vary, so we would have to change the permissions every week for a lot of child boards in the staff area).

Arantor

This is my point: the correct solution then is to make logs you can easily check...

Advertisement: