News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Post char limit

Started by Jade Elizabeth, December 22, 2014, 08:46:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jade Elizabeth

It would be nice if it told me I went over the limit and let me edit my post, instead of posting it and cutting it off.

I didn't think it would but it's pastebinned now but that's not the point, normal SMF does this, why doesn't this site? :(
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Kindred

ummmm  "normal" smf does not do that....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Jade Elizabeth

Yes it does Kindred, if I post a billion chars on my forum it gives me an error and I'm like "oh, ******, I will have to edit that" lol

Arantor it's here, I tried to post some code but I didnt realise it was too much. I pastebinned it for the post :).

Sorry if I sound nasty, I'm dealing with an incredible migraine and I don't mean it <3.
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Kindred

then you must have edited something... because SMF does not do that out of the box, as far as I know...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

I bet this is because it's hitting the TEXT limit and the column hasn't been resized to be MEDIUMTEXT.

This is one situation where it can do it and not inform the user if the limit is set to 0.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Jade Elizabeth

I hope this picture makes you crave bacon, take that as punishment for doubting there was an error message :P :D

Arantor

There is no error message in the scenario here.

Your site has the limit set to 60,000 characters. This site has the limit set to 0 so it never checks (so no error message). But there's still a *physical* limit in the database which will truncate the post if crossing it.

Jade Elizabeth

Ah ha! Okay so I suggest a limit is set since it can't be gone over anyway :). Then I won't lose half a post.

Arantor

Even if a limit is set, it's theoretically possible in certain circumstances to stay under one limit and exceed the other and still have truncated posts. But quite rare in practice.

SleePy

Quote from: Jade Elizabeth on December 23, 2014, 12:50:21 AM
Ah ha! Okay so I suggest a limit is set since it can't be gone over anyway :). Then I won't lose half a post.

Your posting in the wrong board.  SMF issues go elsewhere ;)
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Arantor

It's specific to this site in this case.

Jade Elizabeth

Quote from: SleePy on December 24, 2014, 08:45:48 PM
Quote from: Jade Elizabeth on December 23, 2014, 12:50:21 AM

Your posting in the wrong board.  SMF issues go elsewhere ;)

You didn't read the second line? :P

Quote from: Jade Elizabeth on December 22, 2014, 08:46:11 AM
It would be nice if it told me I went over the limit and let me edit my post, instead of posting it and cutting it off.

I didn't think it would but it's pastebinned now but that's not the point, normal SMF does this, why doesn't this site? :(

Advertisement: