Multi-site, single-signon topology

Started by TonyG, December 22, 2014, 06:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

And, to be clear....  EVERY mod (and theme) submitted to the customization site **IS** checked for code compatibility, security and general good coding practices hen it is submitted.
Yes, a mod author can update the mod after submission...

However, there is also a "report mod/theme" button on the details page for each and every mod and theme... and we take out security record seriously. We can and have removed mods which have been reported.

And no one here has been missionary or preachy about SMF, contrary to your statements. The closest anyone has come to that would be statements that a) what you are thinking about doing is unnecessary and probably overly complicated (and possibly insecure) or b) statements that what someone has requested can already be done in SMF and/or with mods.

So, we are hardly the isolationist enclave that you seem to want to portray us as...

And sorry, but I have found very little "constructive" statements in ANY of your posts...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

TonyG

I guess the only reason I'm speaking up is that I don't see anyone else doing it. I'm a noob telling you guys what I think. The comments can be accepted as unbiased and without prejudice, or they can be dismissed as coming from a noob who doesn't know any better. Then again - without any coaching it seems I've echoed @Arantor's opinions, coming to the same conclusions over weeks that he has over a period of years.

I think @Arantor expresses his frustration with this community in the exact way that I've expressed my own frustration with my industry. It's a non-relational DBMS, tough to sell until NoSQL came around, but now that community is so convinced that they're the underdog that they're even missing the whole new wave of people who really don't like relational. I get a ton of flack from my colleagues about getting on their backs about letting the world go by, sort of like what's happening here. OK, I'll take the heat but at least I've spoken my mind.

And @Suki, you're right, I can't paint an entire community with a quick brush stroke. But consider as above: I've only been active here for a couple weeks and I've formulated sentiments that echo those of at least one seasoned vet. There's gotta be something to that. While individuals shouldn't characterize the community, they actually do, good and bad. If people here don't resemble the caricature that I've drawn here, great, I wasn't talking about them - the others should take note.

As to platform direction and community reform, WP has really sucky forum mods, as does Drupal, and while I've seen a few individual efforts to bring the worlds together, I've never seen a concerted show of collaboration. Here's the pitch I'd make "Dear WP and Drupal fans, your forum mods are really bad. Don't get offended but you're trying to bully your software info doing something foreign, while our software specializes in doing these things really well. The forums you use to discuss your own software are severely user-hostile and have caused a great deal of frustration and repeated queries over a period of years. You need a new forum, and frankly we could use more visibility. So here's the deal- let's work together to integrate the best forum with the best blog and CMS software, and then we'll all do a lot better...."  Add some diplomatic sugar and serve warm...

QuoteYes, a mod author can update the mod after submission...
... yes, that leaves SMF with unvetted mods just like every other FOSS out there. No points.

QuoteHowever, there is also a "report mod/theme" button on the details page for each and every mod and theme... and we take out security record seriously. We can and have removed mods which have been reported.
You seemed to express a strong disinterest when I just reported that half the mods I just tried to load were flagged as being empty by the package manager. Arantor confirmed that there was an issue with the load process rather than the mods.
QuoteAnd no one here has been missionary or preachy about SMF, contrary to your statements.
.. OK, I'll change the word to "defensive".
QuoteThe closest anyone has come to that would be statements that a) what you are thinking about doing is unnecessary and probably overly complicated (and possibly insecure) or b) statements that what someone has requested can already be done in SMF and/or with mods.
... and dismissive.
QuoteSo, we are hardly the isolationist enclave that you seem to want to portray us as..
.... and "defensive".
QuoteAnd sorry, but I have found very little "constructive" statements in ANY of your posts...
... and dismissive.

Arantor

While I get the sentiment, the fact that WP does *exactly* the same as SMF in this regard is not a strong indicator that anything useful could even be a thing.

In any case...
Quotelet's work together to integrate the best forum with the best blog and CMS software, and then we'll all do a lot better...

I'd rather build a strong CMS that works with SMF rather than trying to kludge two totally different-to-the-bones systems together and working against at least one of them in the process...

Call it NIH, call it whatever - it's the realisation that some kind of offering is desirable but that WP (or any other system, for that matter) aren't actually that interested in branching out themselves and that SMF needs something to that effect.

Kindred

I would hardly call anything that we've said so far as "defensive". You seem to assume that because we disagree with you and presented alternative opinions, that makes us defensive...  And instead, you are instead once again filtering things through your preconceived notions that you are right and everyone else who disagrees with you obviously is not seeing the "true rightness" of your position.

The one thing you are correct about is that I am somewhat dismissive of your statements... Mostly because of the presentation of your own ideas as the "one true way".

As for the mods / security issues that you. Out once again you have missed the point. The team does review every mod before it is admitted to public. Any mod can also be reported and will be removed from public view until It is reviewed. This is indeed a significant step ahead of any other software that I have seen in terms of the time and effort we put into making sure that our software with or without mods remains secure. The fact that you had an issue with the package manager based on your own server configuration does not detract from the security or the functionality of our mods... And although it is something that we may address, and possibly have addressed in 2.1, your criticisms in this regard are once again mostly unfounded.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

(To clarify, the zip file handling was revamped in 2.1, it has new and interesting side bugs but is generally more reliable than the old code was.)

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: