News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Ban system

Started by Alex10455, December 23, 2014, 06:43:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex10455

I think you guys rushed through the ban system without planning it out properly  :P

1. When an admin bans someone , the other administrators shouldn't check through hundreds sometimes thousands of pages in the moderation logs just to get who banned the guy it should be included in his ban infrmation section.

2. When a ban is editing it should also log in the moderation logs who it was edited by.

Arantor

This is the first time this has been brought up in the last decade, at least as far as I remember :P

As a general trend, this doesn't actually come up as a problem as much as you might think. Partially because most forums tend to have moderation boards where the staff discuss such things and people deserving of bans tend to be very clear and obvious about it. Troublemakers tend to have discussion topics about them where people confirm such things, at least in all the forums I've been party to...

Kindred

pretty much what Arantor said...

And bans should be the last resort. There is no way that you should have hundreds or thousands of pages in the ban list unless you are abusing the ban system...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Antes

Not the mention, beside banning people and creating entries to log/db (I'm assuming you are banning every single spammer), I rather delete their account and keep my database clean and fast.

Alex10455

Quote from: Kindred on December 23, 2014, 08:16:05 AM
pretty much what Arantor said...

And bans should be the last resort. There is no way that you should have hundreds or thousands of pages in the ban list unless you are abusing the ban system...
You're not getting me :p

index.php?action=moderate;area=modlog

It's spammed with edit logs , deleted topic logs etc etc and it's a pain in the ass to search for who banned that guy sometimes we need to dig up old bans from months to solve the case.

Lets say I banned 'Antes' about 2 weeks ago and Antes comes appealing to me on other platforms about his ban and asked who banned me etc etc.

When I goto " index.php?action=moderate;area=modlog " I won't be able to search the logs under "Antes" else it would show up as No results.

Even if I goto index.php?action=admin;area=ban;sa=log or index.php?action=admin;area=ban;sa=list it still doesn't tell me next to his ban information who banned him so therefore I need to go back to  "index.php?action=moderate;area=modlog" and search hundreds of pages for who added a Ban Trigger under "Antes"

Could you like in the next update make it more organized in the moderation log or something? Like a tab for Topic edits , Bans etc etc

Kindred

nope...   not in the next update - 2.0.x is only receiving security and required functional updates.

probably not in 2.1 either, since it is alreayd in beta and what you are asking would require redesigning significant portions.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Shambles

Simply create a pinned topic in your moderation zone and make sure your moderators update that topic with a single line (name, date, reason)   when they issue a ban.

Kindred

pretty much...   why go for a technical solution that takes time to build and test and - overall won't be used...   when a low-tech solution of actually TALKING with your moderation staff can solve all those issues?
Слaва
Украинi

spookieman

Quote from: Shambles on December 23, 2014, 09:04:36 AM
Simply create a pinned topic in your moderation zone and make sure your moderators update that topic with a single line (name, date, reason)   when they issue a ban.

Pretty idea is this....
What he said!

FreeholdMarshall

I came up with a fairly simple solution on my SMF site. I created a separate forum visible only my to site staff calling it the Dungeon. In the event of a ban for reasons other than spamming. The Mod or Admin who conducts the ban posts a thread in the Dungeon explaining who was banned and why. So far this forum hasn't been put to use yet. The only reason I could see why an admin would be having to wade through thousands of pages regarding moderation and bans would be if the banned list included spammers. I have a  pretty good antispam firewall set up on my site and so far the spam mers aren't getting through the traps.

Advertisement: