News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Upgrading..something broke

Started by Nodaz, December 24, 2014, 01:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nodaz

going form 1.1.2 to using an upgrade package io i used a few weeks ago without issue on another forum.
uploaded files via FTP loading myforum,c com/upgrade.php and get a dialouge that said something about language files being out dated and to check them, art some point i was asked for and administor password which i entered  and it rolls back to the same screen in upgrade utility that says my admin password is incorrect...
Databases was backed up prior to staring this.
Best way to proceed?

Arantor

From 1.1.2 to what version exactly?

Nodaz

right now i created a second public_html 9called public_html2) folder and um uploading the back up of that folder( which i did in addition  to the database).
when it is done uploading i will rename the original to public_html1 and this one back to public_html and see what happens..

Arantor

What languages did you have installed on the old forum? You'll need to get updated versions of all of them.

Nodaz

Not sure what languages are installed other than what is installed in a normal install and subsequent updates. 
i thought languages was part of the upgrade...

Arantor

Nope, because there are something like 50 languages and each comes in two different varieties...

What files are in the Themes/default/languages/ folder currently?

Nodaz

a whole load of them that end in utf8.php

Arantor

-sigh- Yes, and what's the *rest* of the filename? It is kind of important, because if I'd wanted to know that, I'd simply have said 'do a load of files end in -utf8.php'.

Though that probably means you need to replace at least the English UTF-8 language pack with the one from the download site if not any others.

Nodaz

there are 1196 files: there are numerous way sthey are listed
first list starts:
admin.albanian-utf8.php
second list starts
error.albanian-ytf8.php
third list starts
Help.
then ...
Index.
Login.
ManageBoards.
ManageCalandar.
ManagePermissions.
ManageSmileys.
Manual.
Modifications.
Modsetting.
Packages.
etc etc

Arantor

Are you using Albanian? Or any of the others that are listed?

Nodaz

ok. By re-uploading all the original files to a new public_html folder Ive managed to get the forum back to its original state, still in maintenance mode.

Nodaz

English is listed, i just used Albanian as it was the first on on the list

Arantor

That wasn't what I asked. I'm sorry, I don't have the patience to fix this one :(

Nodaz

i applogize if i misunderstood...English is listed and im am using it

margarett

IIRC I had some back-and-forth with upgrades from old 1.1 versions.

Before you start the conversion, make sure your (and your members) default theme is SMF's default. Then remove any custom theme you might have (as they will not work in 2.0). Finally remove your Themes and Sources folders, before you upload the large upgrade. Then load it and run upgrade
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Nodaz

thank you i will try that, no custom themes have been added, basically a stock 1.1.20 ill check that ll themes are set to default, i believe i had it set to disallow members changing it.

Nodaz

re- downloaded the large upgrade.
renamed the old source and themes folders.
still get this error: when i run upgrade.php :

Updating Your SMF Install!
The upgrader found some old or outdated language files, for the forum default language, english-utf8.

Please make certain you uploaded the new versions of all the files included in the package, even the theme and language files for the default theme.
   [SKIP] [Try English]

Click here to try again.

Nodaz

again..restored back to preupgrade attempt.
Is it best to try a complete full install?

margarett

A full install will not keep you current content. So it's not a good idea, really.

Please upload english-utf8 language pack before you start the upgrade process.

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Nodaz

what is the best way to install that language pack, ive downloaded it and uploaded to the public_html folder(per the instructions on SMF site), i cant get it to unzip, should i unzip it first?
Then uploading the files to which directory?

Nodaz

Ive unpacked and upload the files to the Themes folder(new folder) renamed old one:
And get this:
Unable to load Themes/default/index.template.php!
when i navigate to my page.

margarett

Do not rename any folder. Unzip all php files to Themes/default/languages

Nodaz

Geez !  NOW, i uploaded the language files to the appropriate folder, it broke a lot of menu navigation, but i uploaded the upgrade package anyway and ran the upgrade.php
and NOW it says this:

The upgrader found some old or outdated files.

Please make certain you uploaded the new versions of all the files included in the package.

margarett

I don't understand... It shouldn't break anything because your site is unusable as soon as you start the process.

In short
Delete your current Sources and Themes folders
Load the large upgrade package, overwrite anything in the way
Load the english-utf8 language pack for 2.0 as indicated before
Run upgrade.php

Nodaz

ok, deleted current sources and themes
uploaded large upgrade...overwrote
upload files (which contains 1 folder called Themes) from utf-8 language package and overwrote themes folder...
ran upgrade.php
i get this:
Thank you for choosing to upgrade to SMF 2.0.9. All files appear to be in place, and we're ready to proceed.
Admin Login:
For security purposes please login with your admin account to proceed with the upgrade.

I assumed here that it is asking for my admin user name and password for the forum, which i enter, and it tells me the password is incorrect...

i see this:
Note: If necessary the above security check can be bypassed for users who may administrate a server but not have admin rights on the forum. In order to bypass the above check simply open "upgrade.php" in a text editor and replace "$disable_security = 0;" with "$disable_security = 1;" and refresh this page.

should i try that?

margarett

Yes. That will allow you to proceed with the upgrade but it's likely you forgot your password :P
After conversion you might need to reset it ;)

Nodaz

whew.
Success
Not sure what the password issue was, after the upgrade finished the password worked fine.

question:
After the upgrade i see under admin /package manager a slew of packages that were downloaded in the 1.x.xx versions:
1.    SMF 1.1.19 / 2.0.6 Update    1.0    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
2.    Google Analytics Code    1.4    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
3.    Ad Managment    3.1    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
4.    Stop Forum Spam    0.5    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
5.    SMF 1.0.20 / 1.1.12 Update    1.0    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
6.    SMF 1.0.23 / 1.1.17 Update    1.0    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
7.    SMF 1.0.19 / 1.1.11 Update    1.0    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
8.    reCAPTCHA for SMF    1.0.0    [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
9.    SMF 1.1.20 / 2.0.9 Update    1.0    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
10.    SMF 1.1.14 Update    1.0    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
11.    SMF 1.1.15 Update    1.0    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
12.    SMF 1.1.18 Update    1.0    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
13.    SMF 1.0.22 / 1.1.16 Update    1.0    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
14.    SMF 1.1.20 / 2.0.9 Update    1.0    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
15.    SMF 1.0.21 / 1.1.13 Update    1.0    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
16.    SMF 1.1.20 / 2.0.9 Update    1.0    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
17.    Anti-Spam Verification Questions    1.02    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]

the only one( which i reinstalled after the upgrade) that shows a green dot for current is the google analytics update.
Can i just delete the others?
under installed packages, the only one that sows is the google analytic one.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Nodaz

Thank you all  very much for your help and patience.
All seems to be in working order.

Advertisement: