News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

What can I do when a members email address is no longer valid?

Started by ApplianceJunk, December 24, 2014, 06:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ApplianceJunk

I keep getting bounced emails I believe because this forum members email address is no longer valid.

Mail Delivery Subsystem <[email protected]>

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

******@mchsi.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain mchsi.com by smtp.mchsi.com. [97.64.187.45].

The error that the other server returned was:
550 5.1.1 <******@mchsi.com> Suspect mail not accepted for Mediacom domains or invalid recipient - POL009

Seem these are notification emails to topics they subscribed to.

Not sure what my options are to correct the situation so I'm looking for some input.

Thanks,

Mstcool

Change their email to a valid one by going onto their profile. :P

ApplianceJunk

How could I possible know what a valid email is for this member?

Black Tiger

I had the same problem, also had a discussion about it, a feature and a mod request.

However, to cut a long story short there is no option now and making something which can do it, runs into all kinds of objections and issues because it's also very difficult to do as I'm told.

One of the things you could do is edit the user's account, and remove his notification subscribtions.
Another solution would be to create a usergroup where the user can't do anything but only have a look at 1 board for example which only that usergroup can see, in there write a message that he has to update his email address or contact you to do it for them.
Greetings, Black Tiger

ApplianceJunk

It's a fairly active member so I sent them a PM asking them to change it.

Will see if that works.

Mstcool

Quote from: ApplianceJunk on December 24, 2014, 07:38:32 PM
How could I possible know what a valid email is for this member?

Oh, I meant to make the member change it him/her self. If he or she is no longer active....then (i'm not sure about this), maybe just remove the email for now and try to see if it saves...and if not...use like a temp email for a while (something like yopmail) or something, so that you won't get those delivery failed emails again and again. :p

Edit: I guess you said the same thing I said, before I posted this. LOL

Black Tiger

You can't remove a members email, it will give you an error notice.
Next to that, even if it was possible it could generate security issues or forum issues as members can also login with their email address. It's what I did also on my previous forum software in which it was no problem. But with that software users could not login via email address. So that's a complete different ballgame.

Temp email? And how would you do that if you encounter more members with email addresses which don't work anymore? I tried [email protected] but I can use that only once, otherwise the notice comes that the email address already exists. And emails are still send out to that address and if not existing, getting back to you again. Same problem.

@Tranhiep:
QuoteI always delete all invalid email by hand check  :D
And how would you do that, since you can't delete an email address by hand and then click save, because of the error you get.
Greetings, Black Tiger

Arantor

Black Tiger

Exactly. 8)
That's why I wonder how Transhiep would delete them. Seems impossible to me.
Greetings, Black Tiger

Kindred

well, things are possible if you bypass all the safety precautions and do it directly in the database...

but it will cause lots of problems to do that.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Black Tiger

Greetings, Black Tiger

Mstcool

Quote from: Black Tiger on December 25, 2014, 09:07:46 AM
Temp email? And how would you do that if you encounter more members with email addresses which don't work anymore? I tried [email protected] but I can use that only once, otherwise the notice comes that the email address already exists. And emails are still send out to that address and if not existing, getting back to you again. Same problem.

Generate fake emails for the time being. :P

Black Tiger

Like I said... also fake emails will still get you the mails back from the maildelivery subsystem (mailer-daemon).

Unless your hoster sets this up another way, or you block those, but in that cause, there would be no issue like Apliance Junk has to start with. :)
Greetings, Black Tiger

Mstcool

Wait what if you use something like yopmail? They are temp emails but like they still work lol. :P

Black Tiger

It would be an option. However, I think it would be easier to disable notifications for the user and ask them via a pm to update their email address, then create new ones for them.
But that's a choice admins can make themselves.
Greetings, Black Tiger

Night09

PM:

Our forum system had flagged your email address as invalid. Please could you update your email settings to comply with the forums terms and conditions. Failure to update your email may result in restrictions on your account until it is rectified.

Please contact us back if you have any difficulty in updating your email settings.

Kind Regards

The forum team

Well something along that lines diplomatic but gets the point over. ;)

mark87

Quote from: Night09 on December 26, 2014, 11:58:03 AM
PM:

Our forum system had flagged your email address as invalid. Please could you update your email settings to comply with the forums terms and conditions. Failure to update your email may result in restrictions on your account until it is rectified.

Please contact us back if you have any difficulty in updating your email settings.

Kind Regards

The forum team

Well something along that lines diplomatic but gets the point over. ;)

That's perfect... lot's of people are weary of giving out real email address because of spam etc. Why a social media registration option would be a great standard feature.

Kindred

We have discussed, in public, a number of times, why we will not include external, third party APIs in the core product...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

radu81

Maybe smf need a better handling for bounce emails ;)
It was already asked if I remember well...
sorry for my bad english

Advertisement: