Garage Mod

Started by pugcab, December 27, 2014, 05:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pugcab

i've been using smfgarage for numerous years on my site, and all my members absolutely love it and the features of it.... But it causes quite a few error messages , It has also caused conflicts with other mods I have, Im currently in the process of choosing a new host for my forum as Im not happy with certain aspects of the service they have offered. My plan is to upload a fresh set of files to my forum and delete the mods I have before I transfer to a new host.

The garage mod isnt being supported by the developer any more, You cant log into his forum anymore, it is full of spam and It has taken 6 months for a reply to a message I sent... So am reluctant to re-install on a new server If the mod wont work in a few years time as smf gets updated.

Does anybody know of a mod that gives the same features of smfgarage or is there anybody currently working on such a mod

Arantor

There is no one working on such a mod, nor any alternative mod that I know of.

If there's sufficient demand, I could look at building a paid mod for it though.

Rumpa

Please update your topic name with FREE/PAID

Kindred

rumpa...

1- the OP doe snot need to do that, since this is the mod requests board, not the help wanted board -- and this board has no such rules.
2- it is not your place to say that - especially not in that tone. If it is required a team member will mention it.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Rumpa

Quote from: Kindred on December 27, 2014, 09:22:59 AM
rumpa...

1- the OP doe snot need to do that, since this is the mod requests board, not the help wanted board -- and this board has no such rules.
2- it is not your place to say that - especially not in that tone. If it is required a team member will mention it.

I find http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=243730.0 this.

In that topic clearly described how to post here.
That's why I am requesting him to do that.

(And @Kindred I ask you something? in here can we help team members? can we have that permission?)

Kindred

hmmm....  odd, I had not actually noticed that before (naughty me)
however, 90% if the posts here have NOT been flagged like that and it seems to have never been enforced - unlike the help wanted boards.

Rumpa, as for "helping team members" - tone says alot...   and while a team member has the expectation/right to "insist" on some actions to meet requirements, non-team community members should not...  (yes, there probably is a double standard. welcome to the world)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

pugcab

Quote from: Arantor on December 27, 2014, 07:22:45 AM
There is no one working on such a mod, nor any alternative mod that I know of.

If there's sufficient demand, I could look at building a paid mod for it though.

Maybe you could contact the original developer of the mod and see if he's willing to transfer to you  , so you can  develop for future versions of smf as a paid mod... he goes by the name of RRasco on here

Quote from: Rumpa on December 27, 2014, 09:36:35 AM
Quote from: Kindred on December 27, 2014, 09:22:59 AM
rumpa...

I find http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=243730.0 this.

In that topic clearly described how to post here.
That's why I am requesting him to do that.

(And @Kindred I ask you something? in here can we help team members? can we have that permission?)

Sorry if ive started an argument !!

Arantor

Honestly if I were doing it as a paid mod, I'd just build from scratch because it would probably be quicker for me to do that than to get familiar with someone else's coding and figure out the bugs then apply the improvements I might add.

But the number of people who ask for such seems to be quite low, so it's not entirely clear that it's worth my time to pursue it :(

PAPABEAR

Quote from: Arantor on December 27, 2014, 10:06:41 AMBut the number of people who ask for such seems to be quite low, so it's not entirely clear that it's worth my time to pursue it :(

There are tens of thousands of garages out there in the forum world. Make a paid garage and the money you make in 1 week will cover much more than your time. I'd bet that the word "garage" has been searched in Modifications many many times. The first wave of purchases could possibly buy you a new vehicle. Not worth your time? It sure as heck would be worth my time if I knew how.

margarett

Are you sure you need it integrated with (or dependent of) your forum?
Because there has to be dedicated software for that around...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

WillyP

Just curious, as I admin a motorcycle related forum, what is a garage mod? Do people keep track of their bikes, posting service and repair records, keeping track of mileage, and offer service reminders, etc? I'm interested, and this might be something our Board of Directors would be willing to support, and we could offer it as a perk for our paid members only.

Quote from: margarett on January 21, 2015, 10:42:56 AM
Are you sure you need it integrated with (or dependent of) your forum?
Because there has to be dedicated software for that around...

Yes, as for my interest, as we have paid and non paying members, keeping track and and/or bridging to (yet another) peice of software would be problematic.

margarett

This http://www.smfgarage.com is a garage MOD ;)

For anyone interested, it is BSD licensed so forks and improvements are perfectly legal ;)

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

WillyP

Thanks for posting the link but the demo is 403 forbidden, and as someone else said the forum has been over run by spammers.

margarett

Yeah and the installer is kinda broken :(
It requires some manual work before it can be used...

Advertisement: