News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

News fader in board index

Started by MK-12_20MM, December 28, 2014, 05:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK-12_20MM

This is not a bug, but maybe a design consideration. I thought I would run this here...

In the current theme options...
The news fader has only one option "Fading delay between items for the news fader"

This only sets the fading transition time only and not the time between items which is about 4 secs. Pretty quick..

Setting the fading delay beyond the default pause time will lengthen the time between items but this makes the transition for the same interim.  During transition the pager will not work and would be noticeable if the fading delay is extensive. 

Looking at the script that this option is adjusting..

<script>
jQuery("#smf_slider").slippry({
speed: ', $settings['newsfader_time'],'
});
</script>';

Speed parameter is only for transitions and if people want longer times between news items there is no way to adjust and stuck with the default setting.  People will attempt to set the fade delay time to make the time between news items longer and see that the transition takes that long as well.. Pretty ugly and not too functional.  It would be also nice to disable the pager.  There may be some reason for the other options for this script not in by default.

Just for some basic functionality or better usability at least the pause between items argument  should be in place as the default may not be suitable for some people...

<script>
jQuery("#smf_slider").slippry({
speed: 3000,
pause: 10000,
pager: true
});
</script>

Anyone else mess with this yet..  get the same feeling or consensus???

The pager disable is a feature request but the pause argument is more of a usability issues. If people have used sliders before there will be some disappointment if attempting to use.

I worked the code to fix this for the 2.1 install (tested on my local) fairly simple (including the disable pager option), but I was wondering if anyone else had issues with current functionality? Just to make sure... :)

Antechinus

I'm frankly surprised that the fader is still in 2.1.

Kindred

I don't think 90% of us use it at all, so it probably was completely forgotten about.

We should probaby take it out compketely rather than adjust it.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MK-12_20MM

Actually it has been updated for 2.1 now using this http://slippry.com/   

looking at 2.x it was using /scripts/fader.js

or at least from a stare and compare... :)

Antechinus

Ah. So it's actually a proper slideshow plugin now, instead of the old thing. That's a bit different then. I can kinda see the point of that.

MK-12_20MM

This actually works pretty good.. The problem with it now is only the pause option as its not adjustable and will conflict with the transition.

Actually IMHO this is a nice feature and there are a few options. I would hate to see it go.. Nice improvement...

Antechinus

How many frigging CSS and js  files is 2.1 loading now?

ETA: Just looked. Futhermucker, that's scary. https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/tree/release-2.1/Themes/default/scripts

Antechinus

Quote from: MK-12_20MM on December 28, 2014, 06:18:13 PM
This actually works pretty good.. The problem with it now is only the pause option as its not adjustable and will conflict with the transition.

Why isn't the pause adjustable? It's in the js. Do you mean in admin settings?

MK-12_20MM

Yes --  Better to put the options in instead of people hacking on the files..

I did a test run of these changes... Added the option to disable the pager..

Illori

we can not accept patches/code changes proposed on the forum as they have no license and have not been signed off to agree with our DCO. you would be best to create a PR signed off on github if you want this included.

Antechinus

Quote from: MK-12_20MM on December 28, 2014, 06:57:52 PM
Yes --  Better to put the options in instead of people hacking on the files..

I did a test run of these changes... Added the option to disable the pager..

From the performance point of view it's better to edit the file. Every setting is another call to the db. ;)

MK-12_20MM

Ha! True....

I just put the basic stuff considering that.   There are a bunch of other options that could be used, which would be better for a mod or file edit. :)  The pager disable is more of a feature.. I found it kind of horrid just plain jane base config.

Anyway, its just a thought just to get the base more functional from an off the shelf perspective ..or maybe better for a mod period, possibly even just documentation-  for those that want the functions.. :)   Less is more still rules...  ;D

Arantor

Adding options here would filter down to the theme settings, which is one query per page whether you load half a dozen, or thousands, of settings. I would honestly be more concerned at the complexity for users consideration (which is a key reason I am against more settings in general)

Kindred

Quote from: Illori on December 28, 2014, 07:22:50 PM
we can not accept patches/code changes proposed on the forum as they have no license and have not been signed off to agree with our DCO. you would be best to create a PR signed off on github if you want this included.

Ummmm....   What?

While we do prefer submissions on github, nowhere have we ever stated that suggestions made in the forum are not allowed because of dco or any crap like that.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

we can not merge the suggested changes here because of the DCO and no license on the code.

this is similar to https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/issues/151 which we can not merge due to these exact issues.

MK-12_20MM

I am not asking for any changes and I am aware of git.. and policy.

I guess I was not clear enough in my opening post for intent.

I brought this here for discussion only, so my apologies if the wrong message was interpreted and or not clear.

This is a discussion board right ...  ;D

MK-12_20MM

So maybe a better solution would be only to change  "speed" which is transition only, to "pause" which is the interval between news items. No db additions, but the the default timing should be adjusted from 500 milliseconds to like 2000. Update BoardIndex.template.php for the pause argument instead of the speed argument.

The speed default is 800 milliseconds and is a nice transition or just change to 500 in the script as the default. 

This way people can control the amount of time between news items instead of being fixed at default. Since this also has a use CSS option - transitions maybe set in CSS as well, but I would have to look closer  on another day..

Kindred

Illori, really? Different situation. That was an attachment to be committed whole cloth. This is a code suggestion made in a post.. So, we certainly can make these updates if the devs like it.
Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

Doesn't matter - what was supplied here is a patch. That can't be included wholesale without signoff.

This is required to prevent the issues back in 2010 in the first place, if you remember.

Kindred

To a point...

I don't think that this falls into that category as there are only a certain number of ways to do some things and - unless it is utterly unique - a few lines do not really meet the criteria...
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: