News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Site slow?

Started by vbgamer45, January 03, 2015, 06:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night09

Not sure if this bears any relevance but at the moment the site does go quick and the slow loading seems sporadic. What I have done though is check the whos online list when ive had a bad lag spike from here and have noticed that there is a block of ips all registering at the exact same second. Wether this makes the server spit its dummy to get 5 or more requests to register at once I dont know. I just figured it worth mentioning as even the odd things sometimes lead to an answer.

live627

ARG is just lucky. >:D

* live627 runs away

LiroyvH

Quote from: Night09 on January 08, 2015, 07:10:15 PM
Not sure if this bears any relevance but at the moment the site does go quick and the slow loading seems sporadic. What I have done though is check the whos online list when ive had a bad lag spike from here and have noticed that there is a block of ips all registering at the exact same second. Wether this makes the server spit its dummy to get 5 or more requests to register at once I dont know. I just figured it worth mentioning as even the odd things sometimes lead to an answer.

That's been on my radar before, but seems to be rather irrelevant; at least when seen on its own.
When the site lags, spambots will also have a delay. You can, sometimes, observe many bots trying to sign up at the same time at other times as well, even when the site is flying faster than a F-35. (Not that that's very hard to achieve...)
It just becomes more noticeable when the site has lags, because the spambots will have to wait in line as well. :)

It will have a toll, of course. But whether or not it's actually significant enough to cause any noticeable problems, or even major problems... No real evidence there. (Though we do get multiple other form of attacks that play a role, and there are other problematic circumstances; everything combined, including those tons of registrations, do take a large toll of course.)
Anyway, funny you also noticed it. :) Thanks for reporting.

I do know what the problem is. And it (has) needs(/needed) some massive trickery, compromises, voodoo and incantations to keep performance up.
Working on a permanent solution, though. :) Not to worry, and hang in there whilst you may still, at the moment, sometimes experience a lag.

As for the rest;

A fundraiser as suggested a few posts back is actually not too bad of a suggestion... Toying a bit with the idea. I deem it slightly unlikely to happen.
We could do with some brand new very powerful machines,  however.
Whilst we, without going in to detail, have a reasonable amount of money in store; the purchase of actual really good hardware, and we're talking enterprise grade hardware here... (nearly no exceptions), doesn't come without a *significant* price tag for the amount of servers, and associated capacity, we'd love to replace immediately.

While we can manage just fine: to get that extra powerful and (much) better hardware (at an accelerated replace rate), it could be an idea to try that...
Will take in to consideration, thanks for suggesting; though I do think another method and different solutions will be more likely to happen. :) (Can't go in detail there, sorry.)

However: despite us being quite properly able to manage without such an event (we're rather resourceful with solutions), donations are *always* very very welcome; at any time: it is what keeps us alive n kicking.
(Together with advertisement income; so if you want to help us more: disable AdBlocker here! :) We only show 2 banners, in non-annoying places! :))
It funds everything that we need.

So, as always; if you got something to spare and appreciate our software: please do donate if you can and want to! :)
I'd personally also not object to anyone trying to do something fun to raise extra donations; we might even help out. ;)
But please do not feel bad if you don't/can't donate! :)

Anyway, a solution is being worked on; the problem is known, sorry for any inconvenience whilst we're busy fixing it!
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

ARG01

Quote from: live627 on January 08, 2015, 10:38:15 PM
ARG is just lucky. >:D

* live627 runs away

Rarely any luck here. My issue could possibly be as simple as using AT&T for internet.  ???
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

live627

Steve

Quote from: CoreISP on January 08, 2015, 11:49:06 PMAnyway, a solution is being worked on; the problem is known, sorry for any inconvenience whilst we're busy fixing it!

Good to know. Thanks CoreISP!

@ ARG, my Mediacom probably isn't much better.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Arantor

Sadly I won't be disabling adblock any time soon given how much lag the non-hosted ads actually cause here...

Deaks

I did see a site that detects adblocker and displays a message where the ad is saying |"Ads keep us going so why not donate instead"
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

kat

I don't get that, Bry. Maybe coz I use a custom css, here?

Arantor

Nah, it's not here - it's on other sites that do that.

Question: is donation of time a valid donation?

kat

I would say so, myself. It's contributing, innit?

Illori

Page created in 23.174 seconds with 14 queries.
Page served by: 10.0.100.134 (10.0.100.112)

Page created in 8.893 seconds with 18 queries.
Page served by: 10.0.100.134 (10.0.100.114)

Illori

Page created in 32.982 seconds with 17 queries.
Page served by: 10.0.100.134 (10.0.100.111)

and in the process SMF told me someone had already replied... it was my reply i was trying to post.

Steve

Page created in 39.451 seconds with 18 queries.

Night09

Quote from: Steve on January 20, 2015, 07:27:14 PM
Page created in 39.451 seconds with 18 queries.

Wierd really steve its so unpredictable.

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 18 queries.

Steve

Know what ya mean. It zips along for awhile, then I'll get something like that for a few minutes, then back to normal. It's gremlins I tell ya ...

Chen Zhen

Reverse dns for 66.71.247.135 shows a misconfiguration and needs adjustment.
I see three nameservers but only two IP's .. Shouldn't there be 3 IP's so that each nameserver is configured to one IP?
With three IP's perhaps you can also configure one for the mail & FTP traffic whereas the other two can be configured to handle all the regular web traffic.

ref. http://ipinfo.info/html/ip_checker.php

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

"Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune." - Noam Chomsky

LiroyvH

Reverse dns for 66.71.247.135 shows a misconfiguration and needs adjustment.

No.

I see three nameservers but only two IP's .. Shouldn't there be 3 IP's so that each nameserver is configured to one IP?

Each nameserver already has its own IP.
You're probably reading the output wrong or you're not understanding what you're seeing.

With three IP's perhaps you can also configure one for the mail & FTP traffic whereas the other two can be configured to handle all the regular web traffic.

We have a lot more than a mere two IP's available to us.
Also, assigning different IP's to different services wouldn't make a shred of difference if it would still end up at the same server, which is what you seem to be implying.
IP's don't increase your resources on the server... So whether you have 1 IP handle all traffic or 5 IP's: no difference in resources.

Anyway, all our services are already separated and go through different (virtual) servers (yes, on different IP's), so it isn't relevant to our setup anyway.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Almeria Food

My members are starting to complain now on how slow the forum loads, hopefully you will come up with an answer soon.

Night09

Quote from: Almeria Food on January 21, 2015, 01:19:22 AM
My members are starting to complain now on how slow the forum loads, hopefully you will come up with an answer soon.

This thread is about this forum, yours loads at whatever speed depending on your own host and forum setup.

Advertisement: