News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Add More Characters to the Subject Title?

Started by lordrene, January 07, 2015, 05:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lordrene

Is there a mod or code that will add more characters to the Subject Title Input Bar

kat

In the default theme's directory, you'll find a file named Post.template.php

Change the "80", to whatever you want, in this line...

<input type="text" name="subject"', $context['subject'] == '' ? '' : ' value="' . $context['subject'] . '"', ' tabindex="', $context['tabindex']++, '" size="80" maxlength="80" class="input_text" />

That might work (Not tested. So, keep a copy of the file, as a backup).

Be aware, though, that making that larger will, probably, make everything look rather odd, when a ridiculously long title is used..

Arantor

Not that I know of, especially seeing that you would need to alter the database structure and do so in a way that negatively hurts performance everywhere in the forum .

@K@: That only changes the entry box. It does not change the underlying code that limits it, nor does it change the database column's limits on what can be stored.

kat

Ah. I can see where you're at. :)

You know... I thought I'd done the same, elsewhere, and it'd worked.

Maybe that was summat else and my brain's misremembering... :(

Kindred

I've done it for someone... you have to change three places, IIRC.

the main question is WHY the user thinks he needs more than 80 character
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Steve

I'm curious as to why 'why' is the main question, Kindred ... seems to me if he has a desire for it and it can be relatively easily done, that should be good enough.

Then if it can't be relatively easily done, the why might come into it so that someone may have a reason to come up with a way to do it, right? :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

Arantor

No, because that would imply also that just because someone wants something illegal, we should help them do it? Or something unethical? Or something that would be bad for their forum?

Kindred

And even, not getting into that side of things....

How many times do we see users requesting something very specific, because they have a preconceived notion (which they invariably cling to) about how things "have to get done".  In reality, if the majority of these users would tell us the reasoning and the desired outcome instead of trying to "just get an answer", we would probably be able to suggest a better, more sustainable, or even existing option.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

margarett

Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Arantor

I would also point out that 255 characters is a physical limit but it's not straightforward.

' and " for example do not count as 1 towards that count - they count as 5 and 6 respectively. Other characters count towards that limit in other ways too, especially accented characters.

Steve

Quote from: Arantor on January 07, 2015, 09:01:44 AM
No, because that would imply also that just because someone wants something illegal, we should help them do it? Or something unethical? Or something that would be bad for their forum?
Quote from: Kindred on January 07, 2015, 09:04:16 AM
And even, not getting into that side of things....

How many times do we see users requesting something very specific, because they have a preconceived notion (which they invariably cling to) about how things "have to get done".  In reality, if the majority of these users would tell us the reasoning and the desired outcome instead of trying to "just get an answer", we would probably be able to suggest a better, more sustainable, or even existing option.

Good points. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: