Multiple templates, one install - Joomla SMF integration

Started by lewism, January 07, 2015, 08:51:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lewism

I have a need to have two different looks for the same forums.

One would be embedded into another web site where I don't need anything above the top menus.
The other would be stand alone.

I don't want to maintain two separate forums if possible so was wondering if there might be a way of doing this using two templates or something along those lines.

Thanks.

Kindred

can you be more specific?

Do you want all the same boards, users and content -- just a different LOOK, based on the access point/url?

embedding forums is tricky...I certainly hope that you were not planning to use an iframe....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

lewism

I used jfusion which seems to be working perfectly in terms of integrating smf 2.0 into joomla 3.3.
However, when integrated, having the top banner and all that extra space doesn't make any sense when showing in joomla. When not showing in joomla, when a user wants to go directly to the forums, then I do want the top banner and other information showing.

Therefore, it sounds like what I need is some sort of dynamic template so that I can do both looks at the same time. Yes, the forum is using the same database, users, etc.

Kindred

yeah...   you are going to have to mess around with conditionals in index.template.php

moving this to graphics and templates, since it's not actually a support issue.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

margarett

I don't know how exactly would you recognize whether or not you are "integrated".

But if you can get that to a php variable, (and depending on your theme), you can *probably* edit index.template.php and, depending on that variable, hide or not the header.
But you need to check with the theme author for that possibility...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Kindred

if it is like the old joomla intergration, the URL will be different, it will include something like com_forum or com_smf as an argument.

We actually used to do it when we had an active bridge. I wans't aware that any of the joomla bridges still worked..
Слaва
Украинi

lewism

Yes, JFusion totally works.

I wonder if I could call up a different template based on the url to smf for example? Then when users go direct, nothing special but when they go to the embedded version, the different template comes up.

I don't know enough about programming but once I can get some idea of what can be done, I'll get my programmer to try it.

Antechinus

How is it embedding SMF inside Joomla? If it's wrapping it in another html tag, like an iframe for instance, you can use a simple id on that tag to call CSS display: none; on any SMF elements you don't want to see.

lewism

Click on Forums

http://www.prescottriders.com/

Of course, colors and other things need to change to make it look better but it fits in there quite nicely. Just have to adjust some width settings it looks like.

Others who don't want to use Joomla can go directly to forums.prescottriders.com

Kindred

Bruno,
looks liek jfusion wraps it in a div
id=jfusionframeless

lewism... you - however have a problem...

I went to your site - and it has me logged in as you, the admin.
I can't DO anything without a password... but it shows me logged in as Mike, along with you avatar and the admin menu item...
Слaва
Украинi

lewism

Yes, there seems to be some sort of caching issue going on.

margarett

Hey, I'm also "Mike" :)

Not joking, you need to quickly fix that...

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

lewism

Mike is not an admin. Are you talking about the Joomla part or the SMF forum?
Also, it's all backed up so it's not a big deal. Backed it up to do this work :)

margarett

SMF Forum.

I am Mike and I *do* have the "Admin" link on the menu ;)

Kindred

well, when I go to your joomla site and click on forum, I am shown logged in as Mike... and have the admin and moderation menu items visible to me
Слaва
Украинi

lewism

Is that better?
The problem is probably related to cookies between one site and the other.

margarett

Now I am a guest, yes.
But your header is kinda messed :( Like attached

Antechinus

Quote from: Kindred on January 07, 2015, 01:08:37 PM
Bruno,
looks liek jfusion wraps it in a div
id=jfusionframeless

Yup, so that makes it easy then. To hide the unwanted header bits just use #jfusionframeless #top_section, #jfusionframeless #upper_section {display: none;}

It may need a little bit of CSS tweaking to style the remaining header nicely, but it shouldn't be a drama.

ETA: You might also want to remove the padding around the forum so it just looks like a nice clean div on the page. IOW, set #jfusionframeless #wrapper {min-width: 100%;} and #jfusionframeless body {padding: 0;} then tweak corners gfx etc.

lewism

Yes, job one was just to get the forums working with Joomla.
Next is configuring so that things work smoothly and looking at the design to clean it up.

In the end however, it looks like SMF CAN be framed to work inside of Joomla. I read so many posts where people said this is no longer possible.

Advertisement: