Questions about forum modification and images for default core theme 2.0.9

Started by Grendor, January 09, 2015, 12:14:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grendor

Hello guys,

I have a stupid question about the default theme images.

In the Default/images/theme directory there is a file called main_block.png and I have questions about it and other images as well.
I see the image has colored lines on a transparent background or so it looks.
My question is how do you set up a forum/website to only use part of each image as it appears is done with main_block.png?

I want to modify or create a theme but i don't understand how the forum or image is setup.

That brings me to my next question which is can the smf theme's be modified to change the look?
I want to keep all the layout as it is but change all the colors/design of the default theme or a similar theme.

The main reason I ask is I have a site template and I want to make sfm forum have same color scheme/design.

Thanks in advance
Fred

Gwenwyfar

That is called a sprite. It is a file with many images together like you saw. To use each one separately in a webpage you use CSS backgrounds and background-position.

And yes, everything on SMF can be modified. On the theme's css directory you can edit the css to make any visual changes, and you can edit the .template files to modify any HTML.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Grendor

Hello Fortytwo,

Thanks for the quick reply to my questions.

I will do more googling to see how to make and change sprites, as I never really heard of them before.
Also thanks for the info that the site can be modified, I will be messing around with it till i learn a bit more.

Thanks again
Fred

Advertisement: