Adding text or button to footer of forum

Started by wannabe geek, January 09, 2015, 07:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wannabe geek

I have looked through the documentation files and have yet to find exactly the answer I require so next best thing is to ask the community.

I wish to add a couple of textual links and a small button ( 100%NZ Keeping it Kiwi ) to the footer of my forum so it appears on every page.

By footer I mean where the "SMF 2.0.9 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines" words/links are.

Where exactly can this be done?

I have looked in » Administration Center » Themes and Layout » Modify Themes but cannot identify anything that shows I'm in the right place.

Can anyone assist by pointing me to where exactly I should be looking and including the text and button?

Thank you in advance.

The wannabe geek down-under in New Zealand.

JE SUIS CHARLIE

Gwenwyfar

You should modify the index.template.php located in the main folder of your theme. You can make your changes where it says // Show the "Powered by" and "Valid" logos, as well as the copyright. Remember, the copyright must be somewhere!
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

wannabe geek

Thank you so much Fortytwo

I'm sure I've already ventured into that particular file so will take another look, this time with my eye's open.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

wannabe geek

Thank you again Fortytwo

Found what I was looking for here - "Beginning on line 326"

Note to myself - Must ALWAYS remember to deactivate ModSecurity in server control panel before making changes as this will prevent future Heart Failures when the following appears:

"412 Error

Your request got filtered out due to possible security issues.

One or more things in your request were suspicious (defective request header, invalid cookies, bad parameters)

If you think you did nothing wrong:

try again with a different browser
avoid any evil characters inside the request url
If you are the owner of the website, you can consider revising the rules of the mod_security module or turning it off from your Web Hosting Control Panel."

Thanks again.

Have a great day/night where-ever you are.

stmaxx

There are several ways to add stuff to the bottom of your page very close to the footer, and not have to edit the PHP files manually:
one way would be to add a portal some have top bottom upper and lower panels>
Or I think, there is a mod here in the modification section, called Global Header and footer mod ( or something like that.

This way if you want add subtract and or change themes, not a problem.

Hope this helps
If you need anything just let me know!

regards,
Maxx

Antechinus

Quote from: wannabe geek on January 09, 2015, 07:58:34 PM
I have looked through the documentation files and have yet to find exactly the answer I require so next best thing is to ask the community.

I wish to add a couple of textual links and a small button ( 100%NZ Keeping it Kiwi ) to the footer of my forum so it appears on every page.

By footer I mean where the "SMF 2.0.9 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines" words/links are.

Where exactly can this be done?

I have looked in » Administration Center » Themes and Layout » Modify Themes but cannot identify anything that shows I'm in the right place.

Can anyone assist by pointing me to where exactly I should be looking and including the text and button?

Thank you in advance.

The wannabe geek down-under in New Zealand.

JE SUIS CHARLIE

Friendly advice: unless you're use to working with PHP templates, do not try to edit any PHP files live with the "Modify themes" tool. Download the file you want to edit (use FTP for this), open it in a proper code editor, make a backup copy, keep the backup copy close in case you need it, edit the original file, then upload it to your server. If the ****** hits the fan, and it will sometimes if you're not used to working with PHP, then upload the backup copy pronto. :)

If you get stuck, attach a copy of your index.template.php and let us know exactly what code you want inserted, and where you want it to display. Someone will then do it for you, so you'll be able to see how it's done.

kat

Just a thought... Would the Global Headers and Footers mod work, for this?

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=351

Just thinking out loud, here... :)

stmaxx

Yes I mentioned this above and  this Global mod will except HTML and Scripts like iframe from google ads and such, I have tested this many time also recommend it to avoid any php code changes, I pretty sure you could even add a slider to it! Or Just plain Text!

regards,
Maxx

Advertisement: