Import Joomla articles as a forum board.

Started by SDMiller, January 12, 2015, 12:02:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDMiller

I'd post in Joomla Bridge child forum, but it has no new thread button.

I'm abandoning 18 years of Joomla to move to smf/simple portal.

I'd like readers to be able to brows the old joomla articles in some form, even if as a rough board of article-forum posts. I'm sure formatting will get lost etc but the raw text and photos would be nice to have accessible as a read-only in some fashion in smf.

Is this already do-able that anyone knows of?

Thanks.

=)

margarett

I don't really think so. I don't recall ever seeing such request and, I think there are several quirks with doing that...

It's pretty much a one-case thing, which usually puts aside community contributions :(
Joomla supports (IIRC, it's been some years...) images directly in posts, SMF uses attachments, don't know if it's possible to convert between both...
Do your articles have comments? Would they show up in SMF as replies?

Dunno, really. I'm sure it is possible, but not existent that I know of...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

radu81

18 years of joomla? I doubt that ;)

A few years ago I was in the same situation you are now, I had about 100 useful articles (with no comments) and I "converted" them manually. It was a pita and I used this simple tool to convert from html to bbc http://www.garyshood.com/htmltobb/
sorry for my bad english

Kindred

At one point, I made a mySQL set of commands to take Joomla articles and import them into the SMF articles mod...   I don't think that I still have it... but I know that I just did an insert series and then an update series of commands - once I had made a map of the joomla->smf fields
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SDMiller

Quote from: radu81 on January 12, 2015, 05:59:11 AM
Do your articles have comments?

Yes, but rarely and for the sake of simplicity, I'm willing to lose the replies to preserve the old article archive.

Quote from: radu81 on January 12, 2015, 05:59:11 AM
18 years of joomla? I doubt that ;)

Since 1997, yeah.

Quote from: radu81 on January 12, 2015, 05:59:11 AMI "converted" them manually

Eek! For 100, I could see that. 18 years worth... not feasible. But I do appreciate the idea! Brainstorming is always helpful.

Quote from: Kindred on January 12, 2015, 05:59:11 AMAt one point, I made a mySQL set of commands

Something like that! Boy, if you can find it that would be sweet...

I guess I was hoping (wishing?) there would be a simple solution, like a built in import function or whatever, but it seems no luck. Short of a better idea, I may just leave Joomla installed and running, with a link to it if anyone wants to look through the archive.

Thanks for the replies!
:D

radu81

sorry for my bad english

Kindred

something along the lines of

(not sure of the exact table or column names)

INSERT INTO smf_articles
          ( body,
          title,
          ...etc
          )
     SELECT body,
           title,
           ...etc
      FROM joomla_article
      WHERE 1

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2783150/mysql-how-to-copy-rows-but-change-a-few-fields
and then the fun part...  trying to figure out which user published which article...
if they are all from the same user, then it's easy...   just insert or update every row to the SMF user ID.

and radu... he probably used Mambo, before that - like the rest of us who switched to Joomla when it came out
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SDMiller

Quote from: radu81 on January 12, 2015, 11:50:06 AM
That's not gonna help, Joomla was released in 2005 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joomla

Ok redu81. I'll give you that Joomla has been around since 2005, but my news site has been around since 1997, and every article since it began is currently in Joomla... so I have 18 years worth of articles. I was hoping to move all that to SMF if feasible just to keep it all together because there is a ton of history in there.

Advertisement: