News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

My database does not have a password field?

Started by TootsieRoll, January 12, 2015, 12:19:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Osis of Liver

Backup your production database before you do anything.  Create a new database, import the backup into it, then change Settings.php to link to the new db.  If it doesn't work, change it back.  If you are unable to import a 50mb db, ask your host to do it, but make sure they know to import it to the scratch db, not your production db.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

margarett

I'm sure that's intimidating for someone who hasn't done it before.
Anyway, it's not a scary beast. As Krash said, just backup your current database, restore the backup you wish for and test. If it's not good enough, restore your backup ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

TootsieRoll

Quote from: margarett on January 15, 2015, 08:00:02 PM
I could not find evidences of any hack.

Your problem were 2 wrong settings in "settings" tables: cookie time was set to -1 and "failed login threshold" set to 0 (which caused the "Sorry, you are out of login chances")
There are only 2 admins in the forum (ids 1 and 2). I was able to restore the password for the account you were trying to use and it worked fine (after I fix those 2 settings)

Your attachments folder was also moved, I restored it and attachments are now working fine.

What you have is a spamfest... As soon as the forum went up, the user "Neemanaeply" immediatelly created a spam post. And he had dozens of those... I deleted this account and its posts. But there are lots of others.
I also noticed that you have 149 members waiting activation. This is *NOT* how to deal with spammers...
This --> http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Spam_-_my_forum_is_flooded_with_spam,_what_can_I_do is. Check it, put some good Q&A in place and you'll see it improving ;) Your captcha is quite cute, though :) I wonder why it's ineffective?

And I updated it to 2.0.9 (patch, 3 clicks :) )

Good luck ;)

Believe it or not after all this time my host finally restored my backup but...of course the only backup I had was the one with the spamfest.  I need to get into the forum and get rid of it of course.  I do not know where "settings" tables is.  Nor do I know where the cookie time can be set.  I do not know if I changed the password on this backup they used.  I have the forum shut down now to bring it back to square 1.  Can anyone tell me what to do to get logged back in as an administrator following margaretts instructions.... thank you so much oh and I almost forgot the forum needs to be upgraded probably to 2.0.9 (patch, 3 clicks :)) whatever that means????  :'(

margarett

I've seen your PM. If you want to try it yourself, go to phpmyadmin, table smf_settings and search for the values I mentioned. Fix them to proper values.

Or, if you wait a couple of hours, I can do it for you again.

On a sidenote: your host is quite amazing, hey? :P I'd smack them in the head and demand that they restore the fixed database! I mean, they take almost 2 weeks to restore your backup and don't even check the current status of the problem?! Do note, you will loose whatever happened in the forum since then...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

TootsieRoll

I agree and thank you so much... since the forum was down quite a bit I do not have many posts so I am fine with that.  Thanks again for coming to my rescue.  I don't like to badmouth hosts but in this case it is lunarpages.  when they first started out they were a really good host but now they have gotten way to big for their britches.  I might definitely be looking for a new host.

Oh and I am pretty sure I could change some values but upgrading and doing all that I don't feel confident so...if you would please do it for me one more time.  An hour turn around time is spectacular after what I've been through.

Thanks again.

Drunken Clam

Advertisement: