News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Upgrade from v1.1.15

Started by mruttle, January 14, 2015, 09:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mruttle

So I recently took over my clubs online forum and its extremely out of date. Would like to upgrade but am not sure how to go about doing this. (remember I am new to this entire thing)

I am currently sitting at  v1.1.15.

How do you suggest I go about this? I am not entirely concerned about lousing old posts etc... as we are just getting the traffic back to what it used to be. So if some stuff I lost its not a big deal.

Morgan

Antes

Upgrading SMF is a good kickstarter for you :)

edit: fixed the title for you

mruttle

Wow fast reply Antes.

Is there a video on how to do this? I am very much a newbie and don't understand what and FTP is.
Am looking at the web page you sent me to look over.

Morgan
p.s. nice cat! Love the neck tie.

Illori

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/FTP_-_How_do_I_use_FTP

we dont officially have any videos but you can search and may find some anyway.

margarett

You can probably do this painlessly via Package Manager, no FTP and no edits whatsoever.
Go to your Admin panel. You'll see a red text saying that 1.1.16. Clink on it, it should direct you to the installation of the patch. If there are no errors, install it.
Go back to Admin panel. You'll see a red text saying 1.1.17. Repeat. When you get to 1.1.20 you are finished ;)
If you want to go to 2.0.9 then you need to upgrade and that's a different issue ;)

Nevertheless, it is *extremely* handy to know about FTP and other stuff. You will need it, sooner or later.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Illori

that is if the user wants to stay on the 1.1.* branch. upgrading to 2.0 would be a good idea to think about.

Deaks

well unless the OP states both are right, but assumptions are never good, easier to be clear.

mruttle do you want to stay in 1.x series (please note this is outdated and you will be limited to what you can do), if so do as margarett has suggested.
if you want to go to 2.0 then follow the previous instructions (2.0 is current stable version and advised).

You can also ask in Help Wanted (Not Support) and someone may be willing to help you upgrade, more likley to get someone if you are willing to pay, please state if itsd a Free or Paid request if you do this route also check the person out before you hire anyone.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

tatestate1

I see most have trouble upgrading,

Is there a one button upgrade? if no, why?

Is it important to upgrade?

margarett

No, most have no problems...

Patching (sequential upgrade within the same branch) is mostly click, click.
Branch upgrade (like going from 1.1.x to 2.0.x) requires all files to be manually loaded and an upgrader to be ran so that the database is adapted

Further info
Upgrading SMF

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

mruttle

Tried to click the  1.1.16 upgrade/patch but it came back with errors.

This is beyond my capabilities and if the clubs going to pay some one it should be to upgrade to the newest 2.0 version. What would a typical fee be? I would need the executive to vote on this so need some information.

Mstcool

margarett

Upgrading SMF is usually an easy process, whose difficulty and time involved depends only of 2 things: size of your forum and how good your server is. If you have a big forum and you run in one of those oversold hosts, the upgrade database process will inevitably "hang" and it could force you or someone who helps you to completely export the forum to a localhost, upgrade it and restore it to your server. And *that* can take a lot of time...
If the process goes smooth, then something under 30 minutes might be possible.

Do note, however, that you will loose any MODs and themes you currently run if you upgrade from 1.1.x to 2.0.x

Please let us know if you definitely want paid help to do this so that we can move the topic to the proper board ;)

Advertisement: