News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Search engine friendly URLs settings leads to messed up URLs

Started by MrManager, January 17, 2015, 12:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrManager

I would like to add a link to my template that links to the page the user is currently on, except in a different language. My current attempt is something like this:

echo '<a href="', $context['canonical_url'], '?language=spanish_es-utf8">Page in Spanish</a>';

In theory I think this should work, because canonical_url should be "index.php" on the forum index and something like "index.php/board,18.0.html" when viewing a board, which would then result in this link pointing to "index.php/board,18.0.html?language=spanish_es-utf8".

However, it looks like the friendly URL function does some sort of automatic link replacement here, so the final link that is displayed to the user points to "index.php/board,18.0?language,spanish_es-utf8.html". This obviously doesn't work.

Can I get this to work somehow?

Arantor

You can't just throw ? at the end of the link because the link it would process in that situation would be index.php?board=18.0?language=spanish_es-utf8 which isn't going to work properly.

To fix, I'd suggest something like this:
echo '<a href="', strpos($context['canonical_url'], '?') !== false ? ';' : '?', 'language=spanish_es-utf8">Page in Spanish</a>';

This means that if the ? is in the URL, use ; as a separator to get you index.php?board=1.0;language=whatever instead.

Though I'd point out that you don't even need the search engine friendly links any more - 10 years ago when it was added, sure.

Advertisement: