Membergroup titles ???

Started by vettedood, January 18, 2015, 09:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vettedood

Hello all. I'm having an issue here and I'm at my wits end.

I have set up a new membergroup for a company representative on our forum. I've selected "representative" as the primary member group for that member. That rep is then also made a moderator of their own sub forum.

Problem:
I'd like the title under their username in their posts to read "representative" however it reads "Moderator."

I thought setting a primary membergroup would mean that's what's shown under their name by default, but it's not happening that way.

Confusion comes in because I also have Board Moderators that moderate the forum itself and want that membergroup title to show for them. These "Board Moderators" also moderate some individual forums. Again, not showing "Board Moderator" even if I choose that as the primary membergroup.

I'm hoping this is something simple that I'm just too dense to comprehend, which is entirely possible.

Any thoughts or ideas is greatly appreciated.

Sir Osis of Liver

Simplest way to do it is to create a Custom Title in Forum Profile.  That would diplay 'Representative' above 'Moderator'.  If you want to remove 'Moderator', would require an edit to Display.template.php.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

vettedood

Thank you Krash. That works as you said. I see the list of titles. The moderator "stars" take precedent though, not the board rep stars, which won't I know because the custom title is just a title, not the actual membergroup. Is there a setting somewhere that I can choose the primary membergroup shows over the moderator along with the correct stars? Or would that be a modification that needs to be written?

Also I notice some individual forum moderators don't have the title moderator under their name nor do they have the default stars that accompany the moderator title. They do however show the representative membergroup I set as primary even though they're moderating an individual forum. Some forums have more than one moderator and it seems the first one listed shows "Moderator" while the others show the primary user group title.

Kindred

No... The moderator status in a local board overrides everything for display, even  the admin group...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Deaks

Ok that shouldnt happen if someone is listed as the moderator they should have the moderator badge.

Do you have any mods installed that may interfere with that function?
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

vettedood

Quote from: Kindred on January 18, 2015, 11:16:23 PM
No... The moderator status in a local board overrides everything for display, even  the admin group...
Bummer :( I'd love to change that some how.

However it doesn't happen to all the moderators. If I have more than one mod per local board it seems only the first one will show moderator.

vettedood

Quote from: Runic on January 18, 2015, 11:18:06 PM
Ok that shouldnt happen if someone is listed as the moderator they should have the moderator badge.

Do you have any mods installed that may interfere with that function?

I don't know which ones would or not, but here's what I have:

Deaks

none of them should cause issues with the multiple moderator issue, that is a weird one.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

vettedood

I'm glad to hear that. If I had any hair left I'd be pulling it out by now lol.

I have these different groups.

Admins of course.
Board Mods who are moderators of large sections of the forum.
Board Reps who are company representatives AND are also local board mods. Meaning they moderate their own local board on the site.
Local Board mods.

So I have a few competing mods but would like the primary group to be the one shown. Unfortunately that doesn't seem possible.

Sir Osis of Liver

Shouldn't be too difficult to edit the template to do that.  Will take a look tonight.

- R. Waters

Illori

Quote from: vettedood on January 18, 2015, 11:37:36 PM
So I have a few competing mods but would like the primary group to be the one shown. Unfortunately that doesn't seem possible.

for the board reps, is there a seperate board rep group for each board? instead of adding the rep as local moderator create a permission profile giving them the moderation permissions you want, and assign the profile to the board. then the main group will show and they can still moderate the board. one profile per board/group would be needed.

vettedood

Quote from: Krash on January 19, 2015, 01:00:37 PM
Shouldn't be too difficult to edit the template to do that.  Will take a look tonight.

That would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

vettedood

Quote from: Illori on January 19, 2015, 01:34:15 PM

for the board reps, is there a seperate board rep group for each board? instead of adding the rep as local moderator create a permission profile giving them the moderation permissions you want, and assign the profile to the board. then the main group will show and they can still moderate the board. one profile per board/group would be needed.

Would they then be listed on the forum as a moderator of that forum for the other members to see?

Kindred

of course... if you have 20+ different rep groups, it can get bothersome to maintain the permissions/groups...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

Quote from: vettedood on January 19, 2015, 02:14:03 PM
Quote from: Illori on January 19, 2015, 01:34:15 PM

Would they then be listed on the forum as a moderator of that forum for the other members to see?

you could add a list in the description, but otherwise no they would not be listed.

Sir Osis of Liver

Not sure what we're trying to do here.  If you want each rep to be moderator of only one board, you'd have to create a separate rep group for each, with moderator permissions, and each group would have to be designated as moderator for just the one board.  If they're a moderator for that board, their group will be displayed as 'Moderator'.  If all moderators are representatives, it's easy to change the displayed group name to 'Representative'.  Is that what you need?

- R. Waters

vettedood

Quote from: Krash on January 19, 2015, 11:41:17 PM
Not sure what we're trying to do here.  If you want each rep to be moderator of only one board, you'd have to create a separate rep group for each, with moderator permissions, and each group would have to be designated as moderator for just the one board.  If they're a moderator for that board, their group will be displayed as 'Moderator'.  If all moderators are representatives, it's easy to change the displayed group name to 'Representative'.  Is that what you need?

I thought of that initially however there are some boards that are moderated by persons other than representatives. The reps just moderate their company's personal board. There are other boards on the site that are not company boards and thus have general site moderators. My goal is to have the reps title show they are reps, only if possible, (while still moderating a board) and the regular moderators show the moderator title.

Your suggestion sounds like what Illori suggested or am I wrong?

For the moment I've done what Krash suggested and it shows both titles. It works in that it shows the reps as reps and mods and the mods as just mods. But if there's a way I can set this up so that it defaults to the intended way it would just simplify the process.

*** By the way I want to thank all of you for taking the time to help me and give me all these great alternate ideas. I'm accustomed to vBulletin so I'm fairly new to the inner workings of SMF.

Sir Osis of Liver

Are all representatives moderators?

- R. Waters

vettedood

Quote from: Krash on January 20, 2015, 02:38:15 PM
Are all representatives moderators?

Yes, of their company's personal board.

Sir Osis of Liver

Ok, here's a workaround that I think does what you want.

- Create group 'Representative' with moderator permissions for each rep.
- Set the star images for rep groups same as moderator (5 x starmod.gif).
- Make each rep's custom title 'Representative'.
- Designate each rep as moderator of their board.

Edit Display.template.php like this -

// Show the member's custom title, if they have one.
if (!empty($message['member']['title']))

if ($message['member']['title'] == 'Representative')
$message['member']['title'] = null;
$rep = '1';

echo '
<li class="title">', $message['member']['title'], '</li>';

// Show the member's primary group (like 'Administrator') if they have one.
if (!empty($message['member']['group']))

if ($message['member']['group'] == 'Moderator' && $rep == '1')
$message['member']['group'] = 'Representative';

echo '
<li class="membergroup">', $message['member']['group'], '</li>';

Reps will be shown as 'Representative' with mod stars on all boards, whether they are moderator or not.  Other moderators should not be affected.  When you add a new rep member and group, the new group is the last one on the primary list.  You should have only one member in each rep group.  Back up the file before you try this.

Well, yes, it is a bit of a hack (just a bit).

- R. Waters

Advertisement: