News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Import Database Form SMF Backup

Started by Bob La Londe, January 19, 2015, 04:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob La Londe

It seems I recall there used to be an import function within SMF, but I can't find it.  Is it still there or is that a feature I am miss-recalling from some other script I used to use.  I thought I had used it when I changed hosting companies last time. 

Looking

Importing a database is something you can do through your host's control panel. SMF only allows you to backup the database and not fully to the extent of backing it up via something like PHPMyAdmin.

kat

In CPanel, look for the section labelled "Files" and click on "Backups". On the new page that opens, you'll see the "Restore" button, under the heading "Restore a MySQL Database". If you click that, a requester will arrive, where you can navigate to your backup.

Backing-up, inside SMF, CAN be a bit flakey.

If you click my sig, you'll learn more. :)

Kindred

As Looking says:
there is not and never has been an option to IMPORT from any SMF admin screen....

k@... 

using that typically is looking for a FULL restore.
To restore a single database, it is typically better to go through phpmyadmin instead.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

kat

The database restore's there, too... At least, it is on mine and always has been.

Bob La Londe

Quote from: K@ on January 19, 2015, 04:24:23 PM
The database restore's there, too... At least, it is on mine and always has been.
. I got it to work through phpadmin, but I sure would like to know where that restore is. 

Sir Osis of Liver

Some hosts have a separate backup/restore function, but not all do.  The big advantage is you're not downloading/uploading the backup, which can be a problem with some hosts if the db is large.  It's all done server side.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

kat

Quote from: Bob La Londe on January 19, 2015, 10:44:47 PMI sure would like to know where that restore is. 
Quote from: K@ on January 19, 2015, 04:19:47 PM
In CPanel, look for the section labelled "Files" and click on "Backups". On the new page that opens, you'll see the "Restore" button, under the heading "Restore a MySQL Database". If you click that, a requester will arrive, where you can navigate to your backup.

:) That's assuming your site HAS CPanel...

Advertisement: