Could really do with some help moving from 1.1.x to SMF 2.0.x on windows server

Started by peps1, January 20, 2015, 02:18:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peps1

I had planed on using the SMF large upgrade package, but as soon as I uploaded the files and ran the upgrade.php I ran into the trouble of the setup telling me I needed to change the permissions of a few files.

I fist tried changing the permissions via the FTP client, but upon reading the following it seems thats not an option

QuoteNote that if a windows server is being used rather than a linux server, then you will need to contact your host to change the file/folder permissions.

Now as contacting my host and having the forum down till they get round to doing anything is not really an option I just deleted all the files and uploaded my back-up files,leaving me back at squire one.

So, any other way I can move from 1.1.x to SMF 2.0.x without a load of downtime and trying to deal with the evil that is godaddy?

Looking

Did you say Godaddy? That is the beginning of a long road of hell. Are you sure you are on windows? I thought most of their servers ran linux apache suphp so permissions were not needed. I know their control panel is limited but have you tried changing permissions there?

Kindred

The large upgrade and overwriting the 1.1.x files with 2.0.9 is the only way to upgrade....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

peps1

Quote from: Looking on January 20, 2015, 02:25:42 AM
Did you say Godaddy? That is the beginning of a long road of hell. Are you sure you are on windows? I thought most of their servers ran linux apache suphp so permissions were not needed. I know their control panel is limited but have you tried changing permissions there?

Oh I know the hell of Godaddy all to well, really need to move my forum and web-store I have on there, but I just not had time to find someone better, or if truth be told the faith in my technical competence to achieve the move without it taking days of face melting trouble!

I think its windows, on the forum account it says "Economy Hosting - Windows (Free with Domain", but on my other website with them it says "Economy Web Hosting Linux" under the control panel.

And every time I try and change file permissions over filezilla I get an error.

Looking

I think they have a phone number you can call to get more immediate assistance but I would invest time and move to a reliable server where you are in control soon. SMF & Godaddy Hosting

margarett

You should be able to change file permissions on your graphical File Manager (on your host's Control Panel - whatever that is for Windows), even if on a Windows host. Also, uploading the large upgrade package via the same File Manager might not screw your permissions to begin with ;)

Another possibility (the one I'd advise you) is to set your current forum in maintenance mode (so that you don't loose content) duplicate your 1.1.x setup to a different folder + DB and run repair_settings in it. Now you will have a running duplicate of your forum. Now you try to upgrade this copy. If it's successful, delete the "original" setup and move the "upgraded" copy to the original location. Run repair_settings in it and you are all set ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

peps1

Quote from: margarett on January 20, 2015, 04:48:33 AM
You should be able to change file permissions on your graphical File Manager (on your host's Control Panel - whatever that is for Windows), even if on a Windows host. Also, uploading the large upgrade package via the same File Manager might not screw your permissions to begin with ;)

I found an option there marked as permission, but there are two problems:
1: it bring up 4  tick boxes, rather then chmod values
QuoteWeb visible
Web writable
Inherit
Set all subfolders to inherit permissions

2: I cant only do this to folders, not files, and as my forum is installed right on the root and not in some sub folder I cant adjust the permissions of the key .php files.

Quote from: margarett on January 20, 2015, 04:48:33 AM
Another possibility (the one I'd advise you) is to set your current forum in maintenance mode (so that you don't loose content) duplicate your 1.1.x setup to a different folder + DB and run repair_settings in it. Now you will have a running duplicate of your forum. Now you try to upgrade this copy. If it's successful, delete the "original" setup and move the "upgraded" copy to the original location. Run repair_settings in it and you are all set ;)

I like this!  ;D

So, I would just open a new folder, say "forum2" and paste my whole backup I made today and run repair_settings (iv never used this before  :-[ so what would I need to do in that? ) then run the www.mydomain.com/forum2/upgrade.php and get it working, delete the old files in root and move everything from that "forum2" folder to root?

margarett

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

peps1

Quote from: margarett on January 20, 2015, 05:14:17 AM
You also need to duplicate the database, not just the files ;)

ooooh, I don't know how to do that  :-\

I have a back up of it in the _db_backup folder on my root, and hardrive.......but not sure what to do with it?

margarett

That's trickier, then... It's not that difficult, but it's good that you know what you're doing :P
Depending on your control panel, it can be easier or not that much. Do you have phpmyadmin? If so, when you choose your current database you should see a tab on the right side named "Operations". There should be an option to copy your database to another database.

peps1

phpmyadmin - yes  :D
Operations - yes  ;D

There should be an option to copy your database to another database - no  :-[

But if I click one one of the many..... ??? thing? I get that option.

margarett

No, that option is to copy a single table from one database to another...

peps1

OK, think iv done it......was able to set up another database and then just restored my backup of the first database.

margarett

Great! :)

Now duplicate your forum files to a new folder (eg, forum2) then upload and run repair_settings on it
What is repair_settings.php?

When you use the tool, don't forget to:
* Change the database name and credentials to your duplicate database
* Change all paths to the new folder you created (the tool should suggest all of them)
* Delete the tool after use

If things go smoothly, you can now try the upgrade without worrying if your "main" forum is up or down. Now you have 2 possibilities:
* upgrade goes smooth (unlikely, you should face the same problems, but now you have time to contact your host ;) ) so you replace your "live" forum with the upgraded one
* you use this duplicate as a test forum for your to try the upgrade, maybe "feel" 2.0.9, try some MODs, etc. When you are happy with the result, you can just delete this duplicate and do all over again for real, in your "live" forum. It's probably your best approach as it will allow you to do all of this without being in a rush.

Good luck ;)

Advertisement: