News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

[FREE] SMF Wiki and SMF Help Desk

Started by bigjoe11a, January 20, 2015, 06:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjoe11a

SMF Wiki :I was looking for a way to add a wiki to my web site. any one have an idea or is there a mod that is not online here.

I want to allow some users to write and update the wiki. I want categories and sub categories. some thing with a title. Short description and and long description. An option to add links and images. and a way to add notes to it.

SMF Help Desk.: Need a way to keep track of projects and coding. Offering a way to track and keep records for programming projects. Users can use this to find and locate info. get questions answered. Can message me directly with a online chat option. I can set hours of when I will be on and off. An option to turn it off or on.

Joe

SMF Forums http://www.df-barracks.com Where gamers go.

Arantor

The only helpdesk on the market for SMF does not offer most of the features you want, and I'm not sure you want a helpdesk for what's described. So vague, hard to tell.

As for SMF wikis, the only ones there were... were abandoned last I heard :(

bigjoe11a

SMF Forums http://www.df-barracks.com Where gamers go.

Antes

I think you can find http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1490 useful.

If you are looking for code container/bug tracker I suggest you go either BitBucket or GitHub. There is also bridge between MediaWiki & SMF.

Arantor

lewism

I too was looking for something where multiple users could have access to editing the same document.
Anyone know if this is possible in some way on smf 2.0.9?

Kindred

there is an old wiki mod.... but it's fairly outdated.

there is also the articles mod, the knowledgebase mod and the FAQ mod -- all of which would allow you to set permissions for users to edit the items
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

lewism

My concern would be using old mods which aren't maintained, getting everyone used to those functions, then suddenly, they stop working.

I think it would be cool if SMF had such a function built right into it, where more than one person could have access to editing a post or a category for example, but without being full out moderators.

Kindred

in short.... no.

in long... why?   It's a fairly niche request that is beyond the use of the site as a forum...

not saying it is not a great idea as a mod... but not as a feature that 90% would never use.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

lewism

I suppose if it has not been asked for before or by many, sure, it would make no sense to do it. How would you know though? Do you ever poll the community, asking what they might want to see for example?

Never noticed if there is a wish list forum or feature suggestion area?

Kindred

there is actually...   it's called Feature requests and has been around for years
Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

Discourse does have it as a feature to 'wikify' posts but it's not smart the way it's done.

lewism

Josh4596

Honestly the easiest way to do the wiki would probably be to take simple portal or a different custom page/article mod and someone modifies that to add the ability for all members to edit and keep track of an edit history. Probably a lot of work, I wouldn't know.

lewism

Even an external script/package could be used but the idea is of course to keep the smf permissions in place.
I don't know but I think it would be an interesting idea. Then again, maybe create a moderator account membership, give those users full moderator rights to just one specific forum. That might work.

Advertisement: