News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

how to make faster

Started by nikola1991, January 21, 2015, 01:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikola1991

any help how to make forum faster my forum have lot of posts,theme and member and it geting very busy so any help and suggestion how to make faster?

Arantor

Can you give us an idea how many posts/members etc. you have?

nikola1991

i get this message all the time

Service Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Kindred

ah... well, then it's easy.

get a better host.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

nikola1991

Quote from: Kindred on January 21, 2015, 01:48:39 PM
ah... well, then it's easy.

get a better host.

i think i have good host unlimited from godaddy and i pay that host lot of money any idea how to clear forum with process i dont need it

Arantor

There is no such thing as 'unlimited'.

They are running your website on a machine with dozens, or hundreds, of other websites and banking on you not using 'unlimited' resources.

Kindred

and goDaddy is KNOWN to be a problematic host for many...

For the money you pay GoDaddy, I suspect that you would probably be able to get a better host (although not "unlimited").

Although, I don't know what you mean by "a lot of money"
"a lot of money" to a 20 year old who makes $5 a hour is a very different concept to that of a 40 year old who makes $80 a hour...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

margarett

Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

a10

QuoteService Unavailable
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Something like this occurring a few minutes every 2 months = tolerable. But any more, I'd immediately start making preparations to ditch that hosting.

Don't know the amount of traffic\bandwidth used on this "Godaddy lot of money Service Unavailable host", but never seen anything like those errors from my host through many years using them, it's shared (socalled unlimited traffic) and am not paying much, hits varying from 7500 to 15000 a day, fast and zero problems. So inexpensive 'unlimited' hosting can work fine for small to medium smf's, just a matter of finding a decent host.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

TehCraw

As a fun little experiment, you can run a domain lookup on your website here, and check the IP Address field to see how many other domains are hosted on that server. Optimally, you'd want this below 50, but you could get away with a range of 100 to 200. Anything more than that and you're likely to have problems. If there are more than a thousand domains on that server, just nope yourself right out of there.

As an example, according to this, there are 3 other domains hosted on the same server as simplemachines.org.
Any fool can write code that a computer can understand. Good programmers write code that humans can understand. - Martin Fowler

Debido

Quote from: Carvin on January 21, 2015, 09:45:58 PM
As a fun little experiment, you can run a domain lookup on your website here, and check the IP Address field to see how many other domains are hosted on that server. Optimally, you'd want this below 50, but you could get away with a range of 100 to 200. Anything more than that and you're likely to have problems. If there are more than a thousand domains on that server, just nope yourself right out of there.

As an example, according to this, there are 3 other domains hosted on the same server as simplemachines.org.

;D ;D lol now wait a minute. Under 50 on the same server? I just ran one of my domains and 10,000 other sites show up on the server  ;D plus I ran many others from people I know or businesses and one came back on a go daddy plan that had over 300,000 other domains on the server. How can this be? Excuse me for my ignorance but do servers come in different sizes? wow one of the sites that share my server was a place in india that sells male enhancement pills  ;D ;D ;D

Please explain more about all this. I got pissed knowing 10,000 other domains were on my server, I couldnt imagine 300,000 of them!

1Chope

Yes, server sizes are not the same. You don't need to be a developer to know this. sm.org is hosted on dedicated server while you are using Godday which according to reviews online is a very poor webhost.
I will always advice people to use VPS and the fact that there are very cheap ones out there which no shared server can match and to add that the price is almost the same.Feel free to check out
Vultr and Digital Ocean.
Thanks.

radu81

Quote from: Wanchope on January 22, 2015, 02:21:10 AM
I will always advice people to use VPS and the fact that there are very cheap ones out there which no shared server can match and to add that the price is almost the same.Feel free to check out
Vultr and Digital Ocean.
not agree, a VPS requires knowledge to maintain, imho is better a professional shared hosting. Maybe same prices but surely less headache. There are also managed VPS but prices are higher
sorry for my bad english

1Chope

Quotenot agree, a VPS requires knowledge to maintain, imho is better a professional shared hosting. Maybe same prices but surely less headache. There are also managed VPS but prices are higher
Yes, knowledge is required to maintain VPS but it's not a hard thing. Many of these VPS host has provided a very concise tutorial that even a simpleton can set up his server and install smf in a matter of few hours. No share hosting is a match to VPS let alone ssd cloud hosting like DO an Vultr in performance. I will strongly advice the OP to try these cheap VPS. I tried it once with smf installing APC cache and I makes SMF 3 times faster.
Conclusion: I use to be afraid of VPS 'Technical requirement' until I tried it myself and found it to be even interesting.

margarett

That's a decision you made yourself but it's for sure not a good advice to give to everyone... Many forum admins barely know how to perform database or FTP operations so having to deal with SO and software updates to keep your server secure it's really a bad idea ;)

A good shared hosting is, up to a certain size, really the best advice ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

TehCraw

Quote from: Debido on January 21, 2015, 11:58:51 PM
Quote from: Carvin on January 21, 2015, 09:45:58 PM

;D ;D lol now wait a minute. Under 50 on the same server? I just ran one of my domains and 10,000 other sites show up on the server  ;D plus I ran many others from people I know or businesses and one came back on a go daddy plan that had over 300,000 other domains on the server. How can this be? Excuse me for my ignorance but do servers come in different sizes? wow one of the sites that share my server was a place in india that sells male enhancement pills  ;D ;D ;D

Please explain more about all this. I got pissed knowing 10,000 other domains were on my server, I couldnt imagine 300,000 of them!

10,000 other domains.... That's really not good. Granted, it depends on what those sites are running and how many visitors they're getting. Those hosts are heavily counting on a large percentage of their hosted domains running static HTML websites with little to no traffic. If all of those domains were running even mildly busy SMF sites, that server would fry.

The number of domains that I described earlier (0-200) was sort of an optimal range, and what I look for in a host. As you say, a site can function with far far more, but you do run the risk of getting "throttled" when the server gets stressed.

Think of it this way. If you were crazy enough to run live, active SMF instances on your own computer, how many would you guess you could get away with. Again, depending on traffic, I'd guess somewhere around ten. Now generously assuming that your average server is ten times more powerful than your home desktop, do the math and see where that leaves you. That, of course, is a gross over-simplifications, but it gives you an idea.
Any fool can write code that a computer can understand. Good programmers write code that humans can understand. - Martin Fowler

TehCraw

Also, look what popped up on The Hacker News a couple days ago. http://thehackernews.com/2015/01/godaddy-vulnerability-allows-domain_20.html

"... Saccomanni stumbled across the bug and noticed that there was absolutely no protection against CSRF vulnerability at all ..."

Sweet

Debido

One friends site I checked said there was over 300,000 other domains on that server  ;D ;D

my word.

TehCraw

Quote from: Debido on January 22, 2015, 03:11:06 PM
One friends site I checked said there was over 300,000 other domains on that server  ;D ;D

my word.

* Carvin prepares for nuclear explosion out of the server room.

a10

Thanks for the useful domaintools link.

My current host, looks like quite conservative numbers, and probably why the forum works great there.

Quote4,383 other sites hosted on this server

And very happy to not have to deal with vps configurations etc, taking care of members behavior and spam attempts is enough :O)
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Advertisement: