News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Requiring a certain post count to be reached

Started by JediKnightMuse, January 22, 2015, 01:00:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JediKnightMuse

Hi,

I'm using SMF 2.0.9. I'm trying to make it so that a certain group has to reach 10 posts before it can post in two boards on my forum. I want them able to access the site in other ways, like being able to read the posts there, but I want to make it so that they have to reach 10 posts first. Can anyone give me a step-by-step process for this? Thank you!

kat

This is one area where SMF v1 was WAY easier...

Have a read, here:

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Permissions

If it makes sense, great! (Sanskrit makes more sense than a lot of that, to me). If not, come back and ask more. :)

Illori

Quote from: K@ on January 22, 2015, 06:20:05 AM
This is one area where SMF v1 was WAY easier...

the permissions in 2.0 are not that different then how they functioned in 1.1. the only difference in 2.0 basically is some more got added.

the op would want to create a permission profile with the correct permissions and assign to the board(s) required.

JediKnightMuse

o.O Wow, I am so confused. I tried to do what Illori said and I might have actually made it worse. I have to leave for work in a few minutes so I'll have to play around with it more later, but hopefully I'll get it to work. >.>

Kindred

here's the dealeo...

in 1.1.x - board permissions were either global or "unique to the board"
in 2.0.x - board permissions got moved and became "profiles"

What that means is that you can have 3 boards that use the same profile...   you don't have to redefine the identical permissions as unique inside each and every board setting.

So --   
turn ON the option to use the DENY permission
create a new profile called (for example) "newbies - read only"
leave EVERYTHING alone -- EXCEPT the "newbie" post-count group (I assume this is the one that covers your users from 0 to 10 posts)
CHANGE the permissions for the newbie group to DENY "post new threads" and "post response to threads"

done.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

margarett

Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

JediKnightMuse

Okay, so I need to go to bed shortly but I was just trying to work on getting this figured out.

I followed directions and got it so that a new account that I registered is in a group that can't post but right now it can't post in ANY boards, rather than certain ones, and I'm confused as to what I need to change in order to make it so that it can post in almost all other boards except for...two. Part of the confusion might be from it being almost 2 AM, but I think I'm still going to end up being confused. Help? >.>

Also, in my trying to figure out how to fix it, I think I added too many post count based groups but it doesn't seem to be giving me an option for deleting them. How do I delete all but one of the ones that I think I need?

Edit: -__- Never mind, I think I messed up what I had and actually changed the permissions entirely and now they can post wherever. I might need to consider just making it so posts in those two forums are moderated and have to be approved or something, if that'll somehow be any easier.

Kindred

You need to look at the permissions/board profiles section, not the main permissions section

Read the wiki on permissions.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

JediKnightMuse

Quote from: Kindred on January 25, 2015, 05:23:42 AM
You need to look at the permissions/board profiles section, not the main permissions section

Read the wiki on permissions.

I was looking at the permissions/board profiles section, and I followed the directions but it still didn't completely work.

Is there any way to reset the permissions back to default, including the groups, and just start it over if I needed to? Though that would mean I would lose the guests being able to post in certain sections setting, but I might have to deal with it.

Kindred

No, there is no reset for permissions.

If it "only partially worked" then you obviously did not do it correctly.....
Слaва
Украинi

JediKnightMuse

Quote from: Kindred on January 25, 2015, 06:38:33 PM
No, there is no reset for permissions.

If it "only partially worked" then you obviously did not do it correctly.....

Except that I'm pretty positive that I did. There were only a few steps to follow and even at 2 AM I did follow them, yet it didn't work completely, and then I tried doing something else and screwed it up.

I just tried fixing it again and it still isn't working. I have a member group that requires ten posts, I have a regular group that has the permissions so that they can't post in two sections of the board, yet when I log in to an account that is in that group, it can post in those two forums.

I've asked on another forum if someone can help me figure out how to fix it. I'll try playing around with it again in the morning and follow the directions you guys gave me, but I know that I followed them correctly, though now it's screwed up because I've tried fixing it so much.

margarett

Did you read the link I pointed you? It's pretty much the same thing you want to do and should bring you close enough.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

JediKnightMuse

Quote from: margarett on January 26, 2015, 04:59:31 AM
Did you read the link I pointed you? It's pretty much the same thing you want to do and should bring you close enough.

Yep, and it still didn't do any good because I was trying to follow your directions and then the other directions I was given and it still got screwed up.

Pointing me to the documentation doesn't do any good when all it does is explain what each thing does and not how to make certain things do what I want it to. I think I'm going to get help from some people who are a little more friendly (not talking about you, margarett). I've been talking to someone who's been using SMF for 5+ years and even they were confused by the directions being given.

Consider this issue resolved since I'm going to use another site to get help with this.

Kindred

well, I am uncertain how anyone acted in an unfriendly manner in this topic...  but do as you want.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: