News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

More Strange Happenings - Pm doesnt connect to database.

Started by glennk, January 22, 2015, 12:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennk

For some reason, when trying to pm people my site times out. Any ideas where to start looking for a solution ?? Also its very strange that it times out all the time when trying to PM the same member. But it works when trying to PM others.

margarett

Given the amount of (strange) errors you're getting, I would suggest you to think about starting again with fresh files (of course, you keep your forum content), then adding themes and MODs one-by-one and carefully test the issues you're having until you find the culprit.

The procedure to send PMs is the same no matter the member. The only thing that might vary is whether or not that member receives the PM via email. You can compare if the ones timing out do have email notifications for PMs while others don't. If that's the case, your issue is related to emails. If not, then I have no idea...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

glennk

Quote from: margarett on January 22, 2015, 01:07:19 PM
Given the amount of (strange) errors you're getting, I would suggest you to think about starting again with fresh files (of course, you keep your forum content), then adding themes and MODs one-by-one and carefully test the issues you're having until you find the culprit.

The procedure to send PMs is the same no matter the member. The only thing that might vary is whether or not that member receives the PM via email. You can compare if the ones timing out do have email notifications for PMs while others don't. If that's the case, your issue is related to emails. If not, then I have no idea...

Hi Margerat, Your spot. Id actually just discovered the cause of the problem prior to coming back here. Its to do with sending emails to notify of PM. I changed the users settings to not recieve emails when he gets a pm. Now I can PM him.

So where does the problem lie ?? All these issues started when I upgraded my server at Christmas. Thay are taking some ironing out. Will a new installation of smf cure this issue ?? Which download of smf should I get to refresh the files as you suggest. ?? Full Install or large upgrade ??

margarett

A new installation? Most likely not... You should try to find out what exactly is wrong with your email. You probably said it somewhere else :P but are you using PHP or SMTP to send your emails?

It is also likely that all forum functions that have some email interaction have the same problem (like someone can't register...)

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

glennk

Its doing my head in. I wish Id never upgraded server. If I had any hair left Id have pulled it all out by now :-) How do i know if Im using smtp or php to send emails ?? Is that a server setting or in smf ??

Maybe I should also do afresh install ?? Im just running into new problems every day at the moment :-(

margarett

Not a fresh install, that would make you loose your content. But loading fresh files might be a good idea...
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files
Do note that this will remove MODs and themes (which you can later install again, of course)

About the mail type: Admin --> Maintenance --> Mail --> Mail Type

glennk

Thanks again Margerat. Ive attached a screen shot of the mail settings. They mean nothing to me other than things worked before server upgrade. This is the screen shot for the forum where registration doesnt work.

margarett

Yes, that's PHP.

At this point you should talk to your host. They need to check what can be wrong with your mails. Given that you can easily reproduce the problem, they should be able to identify the cause. And given that it *was* working before the server was changed, they really need to investigate ;)

glennk

Ok ill be following it up with the host. Just to complicate matters further. I have 2 forums on same server. on one I can register fine. on the other I cant regsiter.

The one I cant register on says DATABASE ERROR.

Advertisement: