News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

OK, you've convinced me, changed analysis tactics & started over, NO mods...

Started by Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting, January 24, 2015, 01:24:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just curious about how many sites are testing the 2.1 beta?

I am, but only on a test site, not production...
I am, on a test site plus my production site...
I'm not, but I have notify turned on when somebody posts in this board...
I'm not, but I scan through this board occasionally and turn on notify for individual threads that intrigue me...
I'm not, I'm perfectly willing to wait till out of beta...
I'm not, could care less

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

That being said, here's where I am currently with analysis of issues on a PRODUCTION site, & only a couple issues jump out immediately (aside from the already started email system issue thread), these should be addressed at some point & resolved to accomplish end goal of smooth automated upgrading post-Beta version, or at least try to cover as many issues as we can to lessen the barrage of support questions that are sure to ensue even with carefully considered prep work ahead of time like we are attempting now...

I've completely wiped out the server side directories Sources, Themes, & cache... got latest version of beta release & uploaded, ran upgrade.php, no issues.

I'm getting this set of errors when navigating as an admin or as guest/member when navigating to any board, but there still may be an outside influence affecting my particular setup as I am using Cloudflare on my domain, thus, still being a relative newcomer with it, I've tweaked as best I know how currently, and performance related the site is very cool with its current settings. Nevertheless, it seems that it may be related to these errors because the SMF side is currently seeing all addresses from my local network (desktop,laptop, & smartphone on wifi) with IPv6 format? And thus far the set of errors in the embedded shot only occur when executed by my network devices, have not noticed so far it having occurred from outside regular traffic, none of the spiders or normal traffic indicate the system seeing them with IPv6 format, they list as IPv4 type on Who's Online... on the other hand, there's that Uninitialized string offset:0 error which came up previously that may NOT be a IP address thing when you consider the Cpanel side error_log generated within the same frame of time as the SMF errors being triggered(see attached file)?

almost forgot...

As a humorous little side-trek next time ya take a break to relax, I heard a good one on the radio I'm gonna steal & try on my Facebook friends list in a minute to stir things up bit in jest, noting that my fb posts automagically get forwarded to Twitter too!! (chuckle)

Going to post this status remark: "Hmmm, seems 4 of my FB friends have the same boyfriend, but its none of my business...", and then be silent for a long time...

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Arantor

Sounds like you made a post that contained really special characters in it, like phone emoji.

Quote from: Arantor on January 24, 2015, 07:43:41 AM
Sounds like you made a post that contained really special characters in it, like phone emoji.

Ok, yea that makes sense to me and follows along the same line with something else I've noticed & I also recall my one and only (hopefully the last too) experience with changing domains from one host company to another fairly recently and the still "somewhat" unresolved DNS issues with that procedure...

1> After this last update with latest beta version, I notice the following example of a warning symbol inserted to replace special characters that I've used extensively in previous versions without issues resulting, the MS keyboard shortcuts to access the extended special character set, ie., "<alt>+4 digit sequence" such as © which I use all the time...

2> During the course of the previously mentioned changeover of domain hosts, while I was waiting for them to get around to fixing the dns issue I had where almost everyone else on the planet could use rjventure.com to navigate to my site, I myself could not, the only URLs that would let me (& all devices on my local network) navigate normally & display the site were the gator4064.hostgator.com variety URL... so there is a large number of RSS imported topics & topics deposited by the Downloads Pro module that have that variety of link embedded or associated recorded within the database somewhere and results in not being able to successfully use the topic level pruning tool in the admin maintenance menu ever since, even with 2.0.9... "referring url cannot be verified" error resulting, but its going to have to wait till later to fix completely, I do know that my custom tweaks to the Downloads Pro module fix that issue with its own associated board topics where that problem exists when, you edit & save an existing file with the modules maintenance feature, but over the time I have owned that module there are over a thousand files that must be retouched one at a time to do it with that, it'll wait... I'll have to come up with a very touchy sql to scan thru the right tables related to topics searching for and replacing strings matching the gatorxxx... variety url outside of the downloads boards and related to RSS importing, if found... but if the sql works on those it could also cover the downloads tediously time consuming method too, so...

Thank you sir...

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Arantor

1) Using UTF-8?

2) You can always use SQL to touch the database to do replacements, though that's not something I see as SMF's problem to actually deal with. Most people tend to lock down their site while going through such a changeover specifically to avoid the kind of problem you're referring to.

Quote from: Arantor on January 24, 2015, 09:15:42 AM
1) Using UTF-8?

2) You can always use SQL to touch the database to do replacements, though that's not something I see as SMF's problem to actually deal with. Most people tend to lock down their site while going through such a changeover specifically to avoid the kind of problem you're referring to.

1) Have always done that in the past, but now that you mention that I haven't attempted with this update, will look at that...

2) Agreed

Thanks...
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

One more reply then I'm going to nap for a while...

Any thoughts, regarding that error_log? After posting in OP deleted it and have been checking it occasionally and still get multiple same line after the utf-8 conversion which btw was only partially successful, it took care of the index page instances of the warning icon, but not topic level as it choked before finishing with:

Column 'title' cannot be part of FULLTEXT index
File: /home3/wpc921/public_html/Sources/ManageMaintenance.php
Line: 652

Of which I haven't given much thought relating this to the server side log yet, but just asking because you didn't address the log file either...

Now I'm considering disabling Cloudflare at least temporarily to compare, was pretty happy with results of using it but now I'm not sure that its really as useful as it seems to be, "long-term"?...

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

Arantor

QuoteAny thoughts, regarding that error_log

Yes, I'm thinking I'd like to know whether you're actually using UTF-8 or not like I already asked before.

Oldiesmann

I'm not entirely sure why you're getting that error, but to get around it, drop the fulltext index before you attempt the UTF-8 conversion, then create it again afterwards.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Quote from: Arantor on January 24, 2015, 11:21:03 AM
Yes, I'm thinking I'd like to know whether you're actually using UTF-8 or not like I already asked before.

OH, sorry, thought I did "allude" to an answer... I've always used it in the past, and as the database stems from previous version, would it change to something different after running upgrade.php? So, I just assumed that it was still the case as previous to update...

@Oldiesmann Got ya, will do that after I rest awhile and get back to yuns, thanks... that tool is new to me as well as many other discoveries with this puppy...

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

Arantor

You said you'd look at it... as in, you'd go and check. When it comes to bug finding, I try not to make assumptions wherever possible, simply because my experience is that making an assumption usually leads to it being wrong.

Update:

utf8 conversion fixed - will have to manually correct any topics that come up that still contain the weird extended characters that occurred during my attempts to prune topics and it failing, or whatever I did, but after I had a successful utf8 conversion the problems with topic pruning utility disappeared, no errors on that execution, but the board listing the forums when you want to pick and choose which boards to prune is totally screwed up, some boards are missing and the list is not in correct order...

Haven't received any uninitialized string offset:xxx errors at all since the utf8 was fixed, at least 24 hours so far...

Still getting that same pair of cron errors though...

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

Arantor

Just attempted upgrading to latest release and it chokes at step 8 with this error in the server side log:

[30-Jan-2015 16:07:35 America/Chicago] PHP Fatal error:  Function name must be a string in /home3/wpc921/public_html/upgrade.php(2583) : eval()'d code on line 11

The text description shown last of step 8 is "Adding new scheduled tasks...done."

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

Illori

as the description of this board says bugs should be reported to github.

+++  Adding a new task-related setting...Error: Undefined index: db_feach_assoc File: F:\wamp\www\github2.1\upgrade.php(2583) : eval()'d code Line: 11
Fatal error: Function name must be a string in F:\wamp\www\github2.1\upgrade.php(2583) : eval()'d code on line 11

Call Stack:
    0.0060    1238728   1. {main}() F:\wamp\www\github2.1\upgrade.php:0
    1.3701    3336904   2. DatabaseChanges() F:\wamp\www\github2.1\upgrade.php:667
    1.3701    3341528   3. parse_sql() F:\wamp\www\github2.1\upgrade.php:1624
    2.2221    3742632   4. eval('global $db_prefix, $modSettings, $smcFunc; if (!isset($modSettings['allow_expire_redirect']))
{
$get_info = $smcFunc['db_query']('', '
SELECT disabled
FROM {db_prefix}scheduled_tasks
WHERE task = {string:remove_redirect}',
array(
'remove_redirect' => 'remove_topic_redirect'
)
);
list($task_disabled) = $smcFunc['db_feach_assoc']($get_info);
$smcFunc['db_free_result']($get_info);
$smcFunc['db_insert']('replace',
'{db_prefix}settings',
array('variable' => 'string', 'value' => 'string'),
array('allow_expire_redirect', !$task_disabled),
array('variable')
);
}
') F:\wamp\www\github2.1\upgrade.php:2583

Arantor

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

Illori

yet i dont see you reported the issue to github... how to you expect it to be fixed for everyone else?

Quote from: Illori on January 31, 2015, 06:24:12 PM
yet i dont see you reported the issue to github... how to you expect it to be fixed for everyone else?

Mainly because I decided I'm not posting anything to github until I'm sure of what the problem is... in this case its a simple typo and given a bit more time I'll get around to posting it there... and another set of eyes has proved again to be quicker than stumbling around for hours trying to spot stuff like that on your own...

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

Illori

even if you dont know the solution, you should still post the issue on github. if you had i bet it may have been fixed in the repo already today.

Burke ♞ Knight

So, what if he does not want to post it to GitHub?
It's been discussed here, so it's known. Instead of jumping on him complaining about him not posting it to GitHub, why not post it yourself?

Advertisement: