Board theme templates and fallbacks?

Started by Peter Duggan, January 24, 2015, 04:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloc

The sensible thing would be to remove it. Unused features are just that: unused.

Suki

Completely removing its actually a lot more difficult and will break some other related things if it doesn't get properly done. Way more easier to just re-add the old stuff maybe update the code a bit but thats about it.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Peter Duggan

Quote from: Peter Duggan on January 26, 2015, 08:23:25 PM
The two boards (two 'sub-themes' if you like) with some different templates don't keep the header shrunk if you've shrunk it

So anyone got the foggiest about this?

Forum's at www.polldubhclub.org/forum/, but it's only happening when you're logged in (can supply a test account if a team member wants to take a look). The main reason for the sub-themes was to add some in-your-face posting reminders to the Logbook and Home Page Content boards + Calendar (but nothing you can see without being in the groups permitted to post to them) because they're now feeding content to our home page via SSI.php, but I might yet take at least the 'logbook' theme further and develop it to look like, well, more of a logbook! There are also nice wee links you can't see to take those with the requisite permissions straight from the home page 'SSI' sections ('quick news', 'upcoming calendar', 'latest logbook entries' and other 'what's happening?' stuff) to the relevant SMF posting forms, but that's irrelevant to the won't-stay-shrunk header issue.

Theme directories currently contain...

polldubh (forum default):
BoardIndex.template.php
Calendar.template.php
index.php (same as default's)
index.template.php
ManageNews.template.php
Stats.template.php
theme_info.xml
------------------------------------------------------------
index.css
rtl.css (same as default's)
backdrop.png
end_cap.png (to give 'Curve' true rounded corners over fixed page background image)
frame_repeat.png
loadingbar.png (same as default's)
main_block.png
menu_gfx.png
quickbuttons.png (same as default's)
quote.png (same as default's)
submit_bg.png (same as default's)
Admin.english.php
index.english.php
index.english.php~
PersonalMessage.english.php
theme.js (same as default's)

polldubh_content:
BoardIndex.template.php (same as polldubh's)
GenericControls.template.php
index.php (same as polldubh's)
index.template.php (same as polldubh's)
Post.template.php
Stats.template.php (same as polldubh's)
theme_info.xml
index.css (same as polldubh's)
rtl.css (same as polldubh's)
index.english.php
index.english.php~
PersonalMessage.english.php (same as polldubh's)
theme.js (same as polldubh's)

polldubh_logbook:
BoardIndex.template.php (same as polldubh's)
index.php (same as polldubh's)
index.template.php (same as polldubh's)
Post.template.php
Stats.template.php (same as polldubh's)
theme_info.xml
index.css (same as polldubh's)
rtl.css (same as polldubh's)
index.english.php
index.english.php~
PersonalMessage.english.php (same as polldubh's)
theme.js (same as polldubh's)

images directories are all set to default (Curve), with backgrounds pulled from polldubh/images by index.css.

So of course most of this is irrelevant to the header not staying shrunk (surely a JavaScript issue?), but just trying to provide as much info as possible in case I've missed something!

Mimmi

I feel like this should be my solution :D , but I can't really grasp it. Could you please advise me to whether I should be able to achieve my goal through the use of based-on-tag?

I have a forum with 3 sections and each section should have different user-rights and their own color.:

• family – red
  • friends – purple
  • acquaintances – blue
The different colors are there to make sure the users know what part of the forum they're in. "This is blue. If I write anything here, everyone will see it."

I have bought a blue theme, with a red version in the package: StickUp. Can the blue theme be the "mother-theme" and a red and a purple versions be "child themes"?

If I have understood the based-on-feature right, I could make a theme folder called StickUpRed with only two contents:

• theme_info.xml
  • css/red.css

Then the red.css will override some of the css in the mother theme, but the rest of the css and the templates etc will be taken from the mother theme: StickUp

Is this right? Will SMF first get the stuff it need from the child theme StickUpRed, and the stuff it needs that are not in that folder, it will get from the mother theme in the folder StickUp?

I cannot get it to work, so I'm afraid I misunderstood the use of based-on.
Forum-junkie and still a newbie in the world of administrating php etc... Volunteers in reproductive rights. http://www.liv-laga.no/

Advertisement: