News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

News Fader Not Working In Chrome

Started by MOCA CPU, January 24, 2015, 06:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MOCA CPU

Hi gang.  Anyone having trouble with the news fader not working in chrome?  Was fine yesterday but nana today. 

On all three of our sites, listed below.  All on version 2.0.9  Fader works fine on firefox and IE

Any suggestions?

http://nswcorvettes.com.au/forum/ [nofollow]

http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/ [nofollow]

http://www.americanmusclecarsaustralia.com/forum/ [nofollow]

Kindred

Well, if it only has that effect in one browser, then it suggests that it is a browser issue, not a site issue...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MOCA CPU

Yes I know that  :)  Was just wandering if anyone has encountered it and have a remedy.

If I have posted this question in the wrong section please move or advise to which section I should post it in.

Many Thanks  :D 

Bruce the Shark

yes i noticed this myself.

I can not say as i just recently yesterday have had some updates myself with my browsers and some through my windows 8.1 operating system as well so i can not compare the difference from what was before and after..

I do know some time ago i needed to enable some plugins through Chrome as i was having some flash issues and needed to set my   chrome://plugins/   but wasn't able this time to establish the cause to your issue.

You may wish to go into Chrome and type this in   chrome://plugins/  into your browser
and make sure all plugins are enable. Try it out and see how it goes but i have my suspicions, that Chrome has JUST RECENTLY disable something for this to have happened.

MOCA CPU

It's chrome all right not windows.  I fired up an old laptop and the ticker worked fine.  Then updated chrome and bingo. I'm sure they do this just to make my life difficult  :P

I'll keep digging but if anyone comes up with a solution please post it.

edit: will do squire  :)

Bruce the Shark

They are not replying back to you because this is a Chrome issue and not a SMF issue thats why no one has yet to answer your question.
There are forums on Google Chrome where you can post your issue there. Not here
Be the very first since this just recently happened.

MOCA CPU

Ahhhh.  Thanks.  :)  I'll go digging

Steve

I'll go ahead and mark this solved even though it isn't really. It just lets the wizards know at a glance that this isn't a support issue they need to look into.

It would be interesting to know what you find out though. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

MOCA CPU

If I do get to the bottom of it I'll let ya know.  :)

Arantor

I'm not surprised this is broken, I'm only surprised it didn't happen sooner. The code was written before Chrome was even a thing - and now Chrome has decided to go standards compliant.

Needs a rewrite to work in Chrome.

node777

disable or delete 74 and 85 lines in fader.js

Arantor

That seems like it would break how it's supposed to work.

It really needs a rewrite to use opacity rather than colour matching.

Dragon41673

I'm having this same issue, and although I agree it's a Chrome issue...Google is most likely not going to resolve the issue, so would this not warranty a patch from SMF to provide this functionality again for us Chrome users?
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures

Arantor

In theory, sure, in practice... maybe not. It's not a simple thing to just tweak.

Dragon41673

Ah ok...hopefully something can be done. I've checked and the majority of my members use Chrome, then Firefox, then Internet Explorer. There's others they use, but those are the main 3 by a large margin...but the difference between Chrome and anything else is huge. More than Firefox & IE put together.

Arantor

Yes, I realise this. I'm trying to point out how much effort it is for what is considered a minor feature at best - and is disabled by the majority of users as far as we know.

Dragon41673

Ah, I didn't know most people disable it. I belong to another forum that uses SMF & the news feature, and I find it very helpful. For my own site, I use it to provide a link to advertised specials on my webstore.

Hopefully, someday, it will be resolved...but I for one appreciate everything you guys do. I came from Kunena forums software, and it was a disaster. I almost sided with PHPbb...but their support was lacking when I was asking for help. Every time I came here, help was usually not much longer than a few minutes away, and probably 99% of the issues were resolved almost immediately. This is most definitely the best of the forum software out there...so I thank you for yours, and everyone else's efforts.

Arantor

Well, I will hopefully have some time tonight to sit and look at it properly, maybe I'll figure out a quick way to rewrite it that can later go on to be an SMF patch.

Dragon41673

Advertisement: