News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Move all content 'as is' from one domain to another.

Started by johan7804, January 26, 2015, 05:09:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johan7804

We have a domain, lets call it www.domain1.com for our community forums. But we can't for various reasons use that domain name anymore. So we need to make a move to www.domain2.com instead.

Is it possible to export all user created content from the site, like forum posts etc. from www.domain1.com to www.domain2.com? It's an easy enough task to reinstall the new forums, set up the same theme, boards, forums, mods etc on www.domain2.com, but it's the user created content, forum posts etc. that we hold very dear and don't want to lose. We don't want to export specific, selected posts, we want to export/move all of it.

Crossing my fingers here...

margarett

If you don't need to move servers, just change the domain name, then you (or your provider) simply need to point your new domain to your current host and then run repair_settings using the new domain.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

johan7804

I need to move servers unfortunately. Will taking a backup of the database and restoring it on the new server also bring all the users and thier passwords and so on?

I can't believe how helpful this community is :) Thx guys! :)

margarett

some possibilities:
a) you perform a full cPanel backup of your "old" server, then you load it via FTP to your "new" server and your host puts everything in place. You should still run repair_settings after
b) you follow Illori's link, that should cover everything you need.

Anyway check with your new host how much they can help you. If they can perform the database import for you (depending on its size) it's a big workload that they take from you ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

austin.bollinger

Kindred

Johan...  just a reminder: before contacting someone
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=228940.0

while it is possible that austin is just a helpful kinda guy... he has been a user here for less than a day and has yet to establish his credentials as a "trustworthy" individual...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: