News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Moving Forum to New Domain

Started by Pawan, January 26, 2015, 04:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pawan

Hi Friends,

I have SMF forum ver. SMF 2.0.4 which is on domain http://xyz.com/forum , now I want this forum to be moved to new domain say http://forum.abc.com

Can I know how to start and how to complete this migration without loosing any search engine traffic and SERP. Also without any loss of Forum data.

Thanks in Advance.

Dav999

Also, you need to update to 2.0.9 ASAP.

Pawan

Quote from: Dav999 on January 26, 2015, 04:18:07 PM
Also, you need to update to 2.0.9 ASAP.

Is there any security threat in my version ?

Pawan

kat

I believe there are a few security holes that were fixed, since your version...

Will you still own your old domain? Can you use a redirect?

Google might have a doc on moving domains. I'll see if I can find something, for you. :)

Kindred

1- yes...   there were several security issues between 2.0.4 and 2.0.9 - including one or two major ones, IIRC
2- move the content to the new server and apply the new domain with repair_settings.php
3- as long as you STILL CONTROL the old domain, you can use htaccess to do a 301 redirect -- which will tell google and the other decent search engines that the page has permanently moved. After about 3-6  months, you can disable the old domain entirely.

If you do not control the old domain, then you are going to have issues....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Pawan

Quote from: K@ on January 26, 2015, 04:35:06 PM
I believe there are a few security holes that were fixed, since your version...

Will you still own your old domain? Can you use a redirect?

Google might have a doc on moving domains. I'll see if I can find something, for you. :)

I am not able to find patch for SMF 2.0.4 to SMF 2.0.9 .

Pawan

Now I am patching from 2.0.4 to 5 and then so on till 9, so Can I remove other patch versions, like if I am in 9, so can I remove, 7, 6 and others ?

Acans

If you mean, once you install 2.0.4 to 2.0.5 patch can you delete it from the package manager? I don't see why not, since you won't be uninstalling it to downgrade your SMF version.
"The Book of Arantor, 17:3-5
  And I said unto him, thy database query shalt always be sent by the messenger of $smcFunc
  And $smcFunc shall protect you against injections and evil
  And so it came to pass that mysql_query was declared deprecated and even though he says he is not
  dead yet, the time was soon to come to pass when mysql_query shall be gone and no more

a10

Quote3- as long as you STILL CONTROL the old domain, you can use htaccess to do a 301 redirect -- which will tell google and the other decent search engines that the page has permanently moved. After about 3-6  months, you can disable the old domain entirely.

Yes, definitely keep the old domain for a while, if possible. Did a move some time ago, used htaccess and google etc started indexing the new domain almost immediately, worked very well. Kept the redirect for some months.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Advertisement: