Unable to load the 'main_above' template

Started by irepotatohead, January 26, 2015, 05:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irepotatohead

Hi,

I changed my theme to one I downloaded from the simplemachines site, blackrain_202.zip. Now I get error Unable to load the 'main_above' template. I read a few posts on here relating to this error but I cannot try any of the fixes as I cannot get into my site any more. The error comes up straight away.

Any help is really appreciated

Deaks

you would need to ask the people who are now looking after this theme but it sounds like it may be improperly archived.

Go to the theme site find the black rain theme and click on the link that says "comment on this theme"
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

irepotatohead

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I will make a comment on the theme site.But how can I switch back to the original theme, is there other way to configure my site other than through the web browser because I cant get into my site. I am new to web hosting etc

Thanks
Dave

Illori

you can use repair_settings.php to reset to the default theme.

What is repair_settings.php?

Night09

http://www.yoursitenamehere/index.php?theme=default will make it use default theme.

irepotatohead

Thank you everyone for the help. I really appreciate it. I am back in now.

;D

Night09

Quote from: irepotatohead on January 26, 2015, 07:05:35 PM
Thank you everyone for the help. I really appreciate it. I am back in now.

;D

Make sure to remove repair_settings.php from your forums folder if you used it. Another tip if your in the Admin panel and need the default theme add   ;theme=default   to the end of the URL and it will give the default theme allowing you to switch theme permenantly until the faulty one is fixed. Just make sure you browse to the Configuration>Themes and layout>Manage and install tab.

Illori

Quote from: Night09 on January 26, 2015, 06:50:03 PM
http://www.yoursitenamehere/index.php?theme=default will make it use default theme.

it should be http://www.yoursitenamehere/index.php?theme=1 as it goes by number not name of the folder the theme is in.

Night09

Works either way unless the default theme is naffed.

Deaks

Quote from: Illori on January 26, 2015, 08:01:52 PM
it should be http://www.yoursitenamehere/index.php?theme=1 as it goes by number not name of the folder the theme is in.

That is incorrect, I just tried as Night suggested and it worked fine.  Go try it :P
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Arantor

Actually... Illori is correct and what Night said works only on a technicality.

If theme= is specified in the URL, it grabs it and converts it to a number. A string like 'default' will get a numeric value of 0. When it loads the theme data, it loads the theme data for both themes 0 and 1 but as theme 0 doesn't exist, all the defaults will be used from theme 1, which is why it works.

Deaks

~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

Night09

Yeah I see the point although I have used that method before and not had any issues. Generally just to go to the theme page to change from a bad one. Templates die a lot on my test sites. :)

Arantor

Quote from: Ρουνικ on January 26, 2015, 08:34:16 PM
still works :P

Yes, it still works - but only because of a quirk in SMF's behaviour, not because it's actually *right*.

Night09

Do two wrongs make a right like two lates make an early? I cashed in on a wrong with a wrong and got a right tonight. ;)

Advertisement: