Disordered categories after server migration [Can't reorder through admin panel]

Started by jjssman, January 27, 2015, 04:20:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjssman

Hello,
I have migrated my 2.0.4 SMF forum from a server to another, all the files and database have been copied.
And It works fine except for one thing: the categories are now randomly arranged, and I moving them from the admin panel has no effect. The admin panel shows a different arrangement than the real one (the one shown to users).
Any idea about what is causing this or how I can solve it?
Thanks in advance.

margarett

That's an issue with more recent versions of MySQL and it was fixed in 2.0.8 or 2.0.9 (don't remember off-hand).
If you upgrade your forum, the problem will be fixed (along with some security issues)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

jjssman

margarett

Backup is always advisable ;)
How do I backup my SMF forum?
How do I backup my database?

When you finish your backup, go to your admin panel --> Package Manager. You should see a warning saying that 2.0.5 is available. Click it, it will download the patch and test it. If no errors are found, click "Install". Repeat until 2.0.9 ;)
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Patching

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

jjssman

Okay, I just installed the 2.0.4 to 2.0.5 patch, and It appears on the list as installed but It still shows me this message:
QuoteA few security vulnerabilities in SMF 2.0.4 have been fixed. You can install this patch (click here to install) to fix your forum.

If you have any problems applying it, you can use the version posted on the downloads page - although, any modifications you have installed will need to be uninstalled. Please post on the forum if you need more help.
:-\

margarett

margarett

That's another problem...

You have incorrect ownership of your files. SMF thinks it can edit the files (as they show up as "writable") but since the owner is wrong, the edits are silently discarded by PHP.
You need to check this with your host. After you do so, you need to uninstall 2.0.5 (it will throw errors in all operations) and reinstall it.

jjssman

margarett

Ownership, not permissions ;)

Permissions should be fine with 755 folders, 644 files. What you have is an ownership problem.

Illori

Quote from: margarett on January 27, 2015, 07:04:48 AM
Ownership, not permissions ;)

Permissions should be fine with 755 folders, 644 files. What you have is an ownership problem.

actually i have seen this as a permissions problem in the past.

margarett

It's not really supposed to be... If the file is not writable, SMF lets you know that (because PHP returns "is_writable" as false). AFAIK, this "silent skip of edits" only happens due to ownership issues because PHP thinks the file can be edited while in fact it can't.
Of course, if a file/folder has permissions set to 777, it doesn't matter who the owner is :P

jjssman

Allright, I managed to set the owner of the forum folder to apache and install all the patches up to 2.0.9. That fixed the problem.
Thanks for the help!  ;D

Advertisement: