News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

SEO feature

Started by Vivek24, January 27, 2015, 05:14:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vivek24

I would like to have seo feature for urls as default in the new release of SMF. It is also present in other popular forum software.

The urls of the topic must get the topic text in the url also.....

Thanks

margarett

Not going to happen, sorry... At least not in 2.0/2.1.

Especially because the SEO impact of that feature is considered by many as ZERO...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Kindred

as stated...  not gonna happen.

1- it serves no useful SEO purpose. You might like it for humans - but the search engines don't care.
2- since you have no control over the post titles (all made by users), it's even worse than useless, since you are going to get dozens that use the same title... think about it.
How many posts here are "help me"?
so, we'd have simplemachines.org/help-me, simplemachines.org/help-me-1, simplemachines.org/help-me-2, etc and so forth.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Antes

Actually it needs to be <topic-title>-<topic-id>, prettyURLs doing it wrong, and I'm against this "SEF URLs are worthless" thing. Its useful, but surely 75% of being successful depends on being unique. If you take a quick look at the attached picture. I did google search "Anno Online Library", and google highlighted the "Library" word on link, which means its important to have search keyword on link.

Well reading this will be better for everyone (who didn't before); http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=427913.0

Arantor

QuoteActually it needs to be <topic-title>-<topic-id>, prettyURLs doing it wrong

From a keyword and uniqueness point of view, not having topic-id is actually better. The only reason we encourage having a topic id is performance.

Quoteand google highlighted the "Library" word on link, which means its important to have search keyword on link.

Highlighted != used for ranking purposes

QuoteWell reading this will be better for everyone (who didn't before)

You know, that article actually devotes a surprising amount of time to deconstructing 'SEF URLs are useful' (as in promotes the view they are useless for UGC).

Antes

I know that's the only point of I'm against in that article.

Arantor

I would agree with you that SEF URLs are valuable when you have proper admin control of posts (e.g. a blog) but when your users drive the content, including the URL in effect, there really is only so much meaningful context that can be given.

This topic for example would become topic/seo-feature.532915 or something. This is actually less useful than you might imagine for searching purposes.

Antes

I agree, but for past 7 - 8 years I never see bad effect on my forums. I don't expect topics like that found via Search (SE). But surely quality topics, blog type written, which you also agree that type of topics bring user/activity to your forum, benefit hugely from SEF URLs. So I'm not saying SEF gets 90% yay in general from me for forums. But its surely getting 51%.

Arantor

Quality topics written in that fashion are as common as unicorn poop. I know it's out there somewhere but I don't recall the last time I ever saw it.

Kindred

nope...   "friendly" urls do not contribute to ranking at all.

I have never said that they would HURT your site or ranking... but they won't HELP either -- so, they are, essentially, useless for search engines.
Call the "friendly" or "topical" but don't confuse them by calling the "SEO friendly" related... because they are not.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Actually SEF and SEO are different things.

SEF was coined back in the day when search engines choked on duplicate content e.g. dynamically generated, so index,1.0.html became a thing to deal with it. Doing what I do in LevGal for example is a good example of doing both SEF and SEO.

Keywords in a link was even acknowledged in that big ranty post as being relevant - if you copy/paste a link, it will have the keywords actually in the link text which is kind of nice to have, but it's hardly a great argument.

Antes

It is, this is how google determine the Microdata Breadcrumbs. It cannot find the proper way to categorize it with;
- index.php?topic=532915
it can with;
- /feature-requests/seo-feature.532915/

Doesn't it have any placebo effect in it? Sure there is but that's also mostly what marketing does, illusion to people make them think what you said is true. So friendly URLs looks better in the eye for people it has its marketing illusion in it, sum all in one place SEF is good and needed.

Snrj

hello want to be able to use it, I think that whether active mode integrated simplesef

http://code.mattzuba.com/simplesef

Advertisement: