News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Meta Description Tags

Started by Vivek24, January 27, 2015, 05:17:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vivek24

I would like to have meta tags included by default in the SMF package. In the meta description tag, it should contain the 100-200 chars of topic text. Meta image may have forum logo of any other image inserted by the user.

Kindred

again... more or less useless....

but I think the optimus brave mod does something like that (not sure)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Actually this one isn't useless to do.

Kindred

well... yes and no.

since you have no control over what your users post... their first 100 words might be useless as a description....

I don't think it would be hard to do -- after all, we already pull that sort of data for the hover-preview... I am just not convinced of the usefulness
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

It's more likely to be useful than the pretty URL is, but yes the whole UGC problem still remains.

Vivek24

Allow users to select how many characters to show in the meta description tags. It is useful when any site collects data from the page through meta description tag only. This feature is present in many popular forums by default.

Kindred

If it is user generated, then no, it is not really useful.
Слaва
Украинi

Oldiesmann

2.1 does include meta descriptions by default, but allowing users to choose what to use as a description (rather than having it automatically generated based on the page content) is not very useful and could actually hurt your SEO.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

stmaxx

At present time, they usually rank you on Content related to the the search terms, people use, if you have a bunch of the same descriptive words on all pages, that does not match the content of each page, what's the purpose.

If you have content that surfers are interested in, that plus the page title. then you may come up on a query!

I think content is the key, and there are ways to find what people are search for.

If you have keywords and descriptions that does not match the content then like said above you are hurting your self in the rankings. people have been trying to fool the big boys for a long time now and they have seen it all, Do not take that road!

Now days, the big guy are showing, search results of your page, so that they don't even have to leave the search site page at all and in some cases that if they like clicks on a video | image or lyric you have, it take that phone/mobile device directly to the source, bypassing your site all together. or it's asking you to download or buy and App.
I was reading and article where at lease 100 + semi Big business had to cut way down their personal or go bust over this stuff!

Sorry to make a large post about this but they are Mad Dogs with big  teeth out there! so try to keep it simple unless you have plenty money to compete.

If you have something to give a way free that many want, well that's another thing!

Advertisement: