Upgrade is not working?

Started by peps1, January 27, 2015, 09:27:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peps1

Im trying to upgrade from 1.2.0 to 2.0.9, but not having much luck.

I upload the upgrade files to mydomain/forum and when I run mydomain/forum/upgrade.php I get this error?

Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_upgrade_utility in D:\Hosting\5759648\html\forum\upgrade.php on line 3476
Simple Machines Forum

Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_progress in D:\Hosting\5759648\html\forum\upgrade.php on line 3488

Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_step in D:\Hosting\5759648\html\forum\upgrade.php on line 3493
1: Login

Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_step in D:\Hosting\5759648\html\forum\upgrade.php on line 3493
2: Upgrade Options

3: Backup

4: Database Changes

5: Delete Upgrade
0%

Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_overall_progress in D:\Hosting\5759648\html\forum\upgrade.php on line 3502

Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_time_elapsed in D:\Hosting\5759648\html\forum\upgrade.php on line 3527
: 0
Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_time_mins in D:\Hosting\5759648\html\forum\upgrade.php on line 3528
, 0
Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_time_secs in D:\Hosting\5759648\html\forum\upgrade.php on line 3528
Updating Your SMF Install!

The upgrader found some old or outdated language files, for the forum default language, english.

Please make certain you uploaded the new versions of all the files included in the package, even the theme and language files for the default theme.
   [SKIP] [Try English]

Click here to try again.
SMF ©2013, Simple Machines

I have been trying to upgrade for a few days now and keep running into problems  >:(

My forum was original in the webroot, but due to being on a windows server I had to back the forum and database up, create a new folder on the root called 'forum', where I uploaded my back of the forum and made new copy of the database (with a different name to the original).

I then ran repair_settings.php and pointed my new copy of the forum to the new copy of the database, and everything worked fine when going to the new url www.mydomain/forum, and I was even able to update it from 1.1.9 to 1.2.0 with no problems, as im now able to change the required permissions.

But when I try and upgrade from 1.2.0 to 2.0.9 I run into this new problem.   

margarett

I've seen this happening in the past, more than once actually. I still couldn't confirm it exactly but I *think* that an edge condition causes an issue in the converter...

Do you have a backup? Can you put your 1.1.x forum back?

edit: here is the case I fixed. Maybe it helps you?
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=527583.0

edit2: the condition seems to be one of your custom themes trying to be your "default" theme. This means that said theme has ID = 1 and it messes up the conversion...
Please check in phpmyadmin the table "smf_themes" and let us know which theme has ID = 1
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

peps1

Yes, backed everything up so can keep rolling it back to 1.1.9 then 1.2.0, and have done this 3 times now, each time trying to then go to 2.0.9  :-\

peps1

Quote from: margarett on January 27, 2015, 09:37:14 AM
edit2: the condition seems to be one of your custom themes trying to be your "default" theme. This means that said theme has ID = 1 and it messes up the conversion...
Please check in phpmyadmin the table "smf_themes" and let us know which theme has ID = 1

Is this what your asking for? :-[

marg edit: image removed, it served its purpose

margarett

Yes, but on the "Browse" tab, not "Structure" ;)

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

peps1

Quote from: margarett on January 27, 2015, 10:21:06 AM
Yes, but on the "Browse" tab, not "Structure" ;)

I don't even know what that means????? :-[

I'm going to guess........t h i s?

margarett

Yes, that ;)
Well, it seems to be correct...

Please check table smf_settings. You should find some fields "images_url", "theme_dir" and "theme_url"
Can you let us know these values?

Illori

Quote from: margarett on January 27, 2015, 10:40:28 AM
Yes, that ;)

Please check table smf_settings. You should find some fields "images_url", "theme_dir" and "theme_url"

maybe try repair_settings.php and reset to default theme?

peps1

Yes, that ;)

Went into  smf_settings, but these are the only ones with "theme" in the name, and none had "Images" in the name?

margarett

That's because you only get like 30 results per page. You need to navigate through pages to get these values ;)
Use the button "   >   " above or the select box "page number" on the right ;)

peps1

Quote from: Illori on January 27, 2015, 10:52:36 AM
Yes, that ;)

maybe try repair_settings.php and reset to default theme?

I am on the default theme.  :-[

peps1

Quote from: margarett on January 27, 2015, 11:02:56 AM
That's because you only get like 30 results per page. You need to navigate through pages to get these values ;)
Use the button "   >   " above or the select box "page number" on the right ;)

Yep, scrolled through all 12 pages and that's all that came up ?

I did just delete all the themes apart from defult, and moved all members to defult.......this got me to this screen when running the upgrade,

But keeps timing out here  :'(

So guess I have to reupload my 1.2.0 files, and restore my database......not sure Simple is the right name for this forum software  :'(

Kindred

well... did you click there and try it again?   Depending on the size of your forum - it can take a while (one of my sites took 2 1/2 DAYS to finish the upgrade)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

margarett

The first issue, that you just fixed, is actually related to older themes being left behind *and* having settings pointing at it. That was what I was trying to find. I'm still not sure that's an issue on the upgrader itself but I admit it's something we need to investigate further. What the documentation should add is instructions for you to remove all themes except default and to remove *every* file from your 1.1.x setup except attachments, avatars, smileys and Settings.php/Settings_bak.php. The fact that you just overwrite the files with newer ones leaves "trash" behind that might cause these issues...

The issue you're having now is actually server-related. The upgrade is a heavy process on the server due to the immense database operations that are needed and yours doesn't take "the beating".
Who is your host?

peps1

Quote from: Kindred on January 27, 2015, 12:08:26 PM
well... did you click there and try it again?   Depending on the size of your forum - it can take a while (one of my sites took 2 1/2 DAYS to finish the upgrade)

Yes, I clicked try it again 6+ times with the same result (database is about 700mb)

Quote from: margarett on January 27, 2015, 12:14:16 PM
Who is your host?

Its the free hosting account you get when you buy a domain from Godaddy......... :-\

Kindred

oh.... well, that is going to be a problem...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

margarett

700Mb? Uh, that's gonna take a while... And yes, Godaddy is not very popular around here, exactly because of issues like that. Using a free account, yeah... :(

What I would do: pick your backup (db + files), set it running in you local machine with xampp or similar, do the upgrade and then restore the backup to your server. It would be nearly impossible for you to complete the upgrade in these conditions - and it's not SMF's fault :(

peps1

Is it even worth trying to do it again, and just leaving it to run, or sporadically clicking retry?

Really dont know if I have the time to start learning how to use xampp  :-\

margarett

You are probably hitting some MySQL limits which causes it to die. Hit retry after 5 minutes should allow it to "cool down" :P But if after that it continues to fail, it just won't happen...

The most I can do is to try it for you in my computer. PM me your cPanel login details if you're up for it ;)

kat

I can't but admire your persistence, Bruno. :)

Advertisement: