database name change - shifting hosting packages -

Started by Robomcd, January 28, 2015, 06:42:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robomcd

Probably not the first to ask, but search did not give a clear answer for the latest SMF and MySQL versions.

Just started a small forum (details see below) with restricted membership. The forum for the moment will be hosted as an IRM (sub-directory within an existing hosting package). Traffic is low on that hosting package till now, expected traffic from the forum will not be crazy either, so it should work within the package dimensions (2 gb disk space, 60gb bandwith).

If demand gets too high, we will switch to a separate, maybe more extended hosting package. Until we know more, we do not want to start with that.

Problem is that with my host, the main database has a fixed prefix for the associated MySQL database: xCurrentDomainName-forumDBname. Changing to a separate hosting package, the associated mysql database would change to xForumDomainName-forumDBname. 

I can do  mysqldump to backup the forum and then restore in the new database. I can move the SMF forum directory in one go to the new location as well. Question is, how do I change the database name in the copied SMF installation?

Background
I just started a small SMF forum to connect towns called Newcastle (or any variation of that name in any language) and discuss possible projects, cooperation, topics of interest, etc. Membership to the forum is restricted to people with direct links to the towns or its projects.  Probably less than 500 members, expected 50 or less really active. With really active I mean regular weekly login, we do not expect ongoing hot discussions of many members at any one time.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Robomcd

Great, thanks.

I saw the second link, but point 3 never clicked (that's the problem of doing these things late at night). I kept trying to break in or using the original install file to repair that to no avail.

Now if the 1071 key-length error/problem can be solved I should be good to follow our build-up strategy without worries for a future shift or backup. 

Bigguy

Advertisement: