News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Is there a mod to show if a guests IP is in member DB?

Started by Rk2910, January 28, 2015, 08:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rk2910

I get a lot of guests browsing the site and I have installed a mod that limits their viewing # amount of threads.
I'd like to be able to see, to Admin and Mod only, if a member is surfing as a guest - maybe a hint box if you hover over the Guest or a new column is added to the display form.  So we can see if a member doesn't log in and is browsing.

Kindred

That would be resource intensive and i can not recommend doing that.m
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Well... there's the 'show the number of people viewing a thread' facility which would show how many guests there are in a given thread at a given time.

I don't quite understand if that's what the OP is asking for though.

Illori

i think the op wants to know if a guest has the same ip address as a registered member and if so who... i really dont see the point as ip address usually do change and dont see a value in seeing if there is a match anyway.

Arantor

Oh I see. Yes, that's a massive timesink, modestly unreliable normally, extremely unreliable if using mobile.

Rk2910

Here is the reasoning (maybe not rationale but...) behind the request. We have a competing site that has pretty much the same active members - some members swore that they'd never come back (and we're ok with that and are actually glad they are not with us anymore) but I wonder if they are still checking in because I get a lot of guests, figuring that some of "that group" are still poking their head in without logging in.  As I said earlier I installed the guest limit mod and set it for 2 (but it allows three) topic reads.
I know, call it snoopy, paranoid or nosy or whatever but it would be nice if I could click a button (Admin or Mod only) in the "Users online" area that would do a quick scan of the DB to check guests against members in db.  I wouldn't want it running all the time, as I can understand the resources it would chew through Or maybe it could log the guest info into a table/file as they visit - then I could export the table (via button of course) to a csv or open the file to check it later?  I do understand that there is a chance that mobile users maybe be reported falsely.
Does that make sense?
Oh, and what is an "OP"?

br360

OP is original post or original poster.

When guests are browsing the forum, you have the ability to go into the who's online list and see their ip address. You can also click on that ip address link, and it will show what other registered members share that same IP-giving you a pretty good idea of who that guest is; assuming they have an account on your site.

Sure, you have to actually be online yourself when you check, but it is already a built in feature.

Kindred

But doing that tracking for all active IPs atiomatically would kill your server darned fast.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Rk2910

Advertisement: