News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Image Uploading to Web Hosting / Custom Form

Started by Oshiego, January 28, 2015, 11:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshiego

Hello everyone.

I wanted to ask if it was possible to upload an image to the Web hosting file manager (folder) that I'm subscribed to? As the image that I require from my users are confidential, I believe users are uncomfortable with uploading it to a public image hosting site such as imgur.com [nofollow]

I tried using the custom form mod that I found but I find that it doesn't include a image upload function. I require user to fill up a form and that form will be posted in a "Staff Only"  section so that staff can review it before approving a user to post on certain section.

So for now I have to use Google Form separately to check on users who have submitted the form. But Google apparently does not have image upload function too.

So the main point is,

Is there a way i can integrate a Google Form to my forum? Where by if users submit a form on the Google form, can the output somehow be posted to the section that I want on the forums? (creating a thread) and also how do I allow users to upload the image so that it gets uploaded to my Web hosting database.

Thank you 

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

There's a couple modules you could get, but I recommend you talk to another guy here named Arantor, he is working on a really slick one that should be the cat's meow for your purpose...

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Bruce the Shark

yes, I would have to agree here with uncle Bob above. Your best bet is to speak to captain Arantor.
He can be contacted at http://levertine.com/ where you can upload your image directly to your own web hosting account, so you can have for full control rather than an image hosting website.

Oshiego

Quote from: Bob Perry on January 28, 2015, 11:51:29 PM
There's a couple modules you could get, but I recommend you talk to another guy here named Arantor, he is working on a really slick one that should be the cat's meow for your purpose...
Quote from: Bruce the Shark on January 29, 2015, 03:14:17 AM
yes, I would have to agree here with uncle Bob above. Your best bet is to speak to captain Arantor.
He can be contacted at http://levertine.com/ [nofollow] where you can upload your image directly to your own web hosting account, so you can have for full control rather than an image hosting website.

Do I have to buy a hosting from him? I have bought a web-hosting already so I was looking into just using what I have currently.

Bruce the Shark

You dont have to buy no hosting.
All you do is to upload your own images into your current hosting provider this way they are more secure.
Hes mod is only a add on to SMF so you have full control of your images.

Oshiego

Quote from: Bruce the Shark on January 29, 2015, 05:01:06 AM
You dont have to buy no hosting.
All you do is to upload your own images into your current hosting provider this way they are more secure.
Hes mod is only a add on to SMF so you have full control of your images.

Alright, I posted on his site already. Thanks.

margarett

You can upload images to SMF itself as attachments to posts and those are uploaded to your forum. As long as you have decent disk space available in your hosting service, you should be OK.
Of course this is just basic attachments handling. Galleries do allow other "goodies" ;) but the basic "target" for the images is the same
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Oshiego

Quote from: margarett on January 29, 2015, 05:29:22 AM
You can upload images to SMF itself as attachments to posts and those are uploaded to your forum. As long as you have decent disk space available in your hosting service, you should be OK.
Of course this is just basic attachments handling. Galleries do allow other "goodies" ;) but the basic "target" for the images is the same

Yes I realized that. But if I were to change the attachments settings, it'll affect all other boards/section.
What I want is just a certain board/section to have the functionality whereby a user can upload more than the default attachment size offers etc. I.e, a separate attachments settings for separate sections/boards.

Arantor

That's doable, you can create a new permissions profile only for that one board.

Illori

i believe this is related to http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=533010.0 in that case i think simpledesk is a better solution overall.

Oshiego

Quote from: Illori on January 29, 2015, 08:32:31 AM
i believe this is related to http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=533010.0 in that case i think simpledesk is a better solution overall.
Quote from: Arantor on January 29, 2015, 08:27:28 AM
That's doable, you can create a new permissions profile only for that one board.

Yes. I think Helpdesk helped covered that 2 topics that I created. Even though Help Desk doesn't full have a "custom" form mod. That will do the work for now. Thanks a lot in helping out :)

Arantor

You can add custom fields to it to have the information gathered that you need.

Oshiego

Quote from: Arantor on January 29, 2015, 10:01:36 AM
You can add custom fields to it to have the information gathered that you need.

Yeah I know it have that fucntion. But the custom field are not output as a forum post. Rather its just additional information.

Arantor

They're shown next to the tickets in the sidebar.

Oshiego

Quote from: Arantor on January 29, 2015, 10:53:56 AM
They're shown next to the tickets in the sidebar.

Agreed to that. I call that Additional Information, not something that was integrated to be IN the ticket post itself. Rather it is a separate area :)

But it still works for me.

Arantor

You can either use the sidebar or have them in a block under the ticket body. Displaying it in the body area has a variety of logistical and technical issues.

I remember there were reasons why the helpdesk did it that way. At least, I remember there were reasons I built it that way when I built it, I just don't remember why I did it that way.

Advertisement: