Is there anyway to prevent all people from *@domain.com from registering?

Started by stub, January 29, 2015, 01:06:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stub

I have one spam user, I'm not sure if it's a bot or a real person (I suspect he's a real person), who, every time I ban him, he just creates another email on the same domain. Is there any way to prevent him from registering. Preferably, by not sending any email confirmation. I couldn't find anywhere in the Control Panel to do this. But I will admit I'm a new SMF user. If it cannot be done in the control panel, is there a way I can edit the database directly to effect this?

austin.bollinger

Quote from: stub on January 29, 2015, 01:06:25 AM
I have one spam user, I'm not sure if it's a bot or a real person (I suspect he's a real person), who, every time I ban him, he just creates another email on the same domain. Is there any way to prevent him from registering. Preferably, by not sending any email confirmation. I couldn't find anywhere in the Control Panel to do this. But I will admit I'm a new SMF user. If it cannot be done in the control panel, is there a way I can edit the database directly to effect this?

Ban triggers mate, ban triggers.

*@blah.com

Bruce the Shark

Assuming you have read this topic first
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Spam_-_my_forum_is_flooded_with_spam,_what_can_I_do
Also make sure you have the latest version of smf applying some good question to your Captcha code should stop them from entering.

stub

Quote from: austin.bollinger on January 29, 2015, 02:08:10 AM

Ban triggers mate, ban triggers.

*@blah.com

Thanks Austin. I had considered that, but not tried it yet. Would this technique prevent any user @blah.com from registering, or does this only apply to registered users? Presumably after I've set this up, I can delete all the individual bans I've applied to users from *@blah.com? And presumably I can set this up similarly for IP Addresses ranges, ie 100.100.100.*?

And finally. If I set both email and IP in the same ban trigger, do both have to apply or will they be banned only if one of them is true?

br360

Banning by hostname will block users from registering as well as any current user that was already on your site (they would get the you're banned message)

You may consider banning the host name using .htaccess though; as having too many bans through the forum can seriously slow it down. I know this, because I used to be pretty ban heavy when it came to spammers. ;)

This may help, as there are some good examples and information from quite a few people on how to ban by htaccess- http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=509500.0

Advertisement: