News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Banner deforms forum

Started by Martine M, January 29, 2015, 09:46:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martine M

Hallo there, I hope that someone can help me out here, I did it once before with an earlier version but I can nog seem te remember or find what I have to change exactly.

I am using in this forum SMF 2.09 Default theme Curve

I changed the forum banner and it has to go over the total forum width, I know I have to resize banner  but for now I would love to know how to adjust the template heights so the banner won't tear the forum out of proportion.

In the default index.template.php I changed smflogo.png in to the name of this image and is showing like this.

I know I have to adjust the template somewhere in the index.css
This is what I found there

#header
{
background: url(../images/theme/main_block.png) #fefefe no-repeat 0 -480px;
padding-left: 20px;
}
#header div.frame
{
background: url(../images/theme/main_block.png) no-repeat 100% -480px;
display: block;
padding: 5px 20px 1em 0;
}

But I am not sure what to alter there.
Thanks in advance.
Running SMF 2.09 - Diego Andrés Theme Elegant Mind - TP 1.0 - Main Forum language English - Browser Firefox 33

Gwenwyfar

So you want the forum width to be the same as the banner?

It would be easier to give a solution if you give a link to your forum, but you can try setting the theme's width to the banner width if you haven't already.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Martine M

Running SMF 2.09 - Diego Andrés Theme Elegant Mind - TP 1.0 - Main Forum language English - Browser Firefox 33

Martine M

I set the forum at 65 % I do not know were to set exact pix.
Banner needs to be resized (which is no problem) to be a bit longer but I am waiting for a solution first for the height problem.

Martine M

But know that Iook at it it maybe "normal" or not more correctable.

I am talking about the search box and users avator or login bar being on that line when it normally needs to be above the line.
This way it does not look very nice, are you following?

Martine M

When I resized it to be wider it looks better so I think it will work like this only I would love to make it a bit wider to until the darker edge but if I resize more part of the banner falls out of sight. I think I have to adjust the "margins" some where in the index.css

Gwenwyfar

Add this to the bottom of your index.css file:

#smflogo {
   width: 100%;
}

#wrapper {
   max-width: 1100px;
}

This should make the banner match the forum size on all sizes and keep a limit on how wide the forum is. 60% is a bit low though, I'd go with something like 80%. Have in mind that percentage is relative to the total width of your monitor, so if someone has a smaller or larger monitor it will change.

You might want to do something about the background and empty space around the banner as well though.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Martine M

Thanks 80% is indeed better. was not sure what to take for most monitors.

I added the code to the index.css and it seems to work fine, thank you very much.

The background I am still thinking about what to do with it. I will change the background (backdrop.png) in to something matching the forumbanner but it may not be to ..... how do you say that in English, maybe to flashy.

But how do I change the empty space around the banner? That is what I meant before with the margins.

Martine M

I Found the correct paddings for the banner toe have no empty space anymore on the left and the right ad less space above it.
So that i looking great now. :)

Martine M

Thanks Antechinus I'll read it through.

Advertisement: