New Members Deleting Or Editing Their Posts

Started by Steve, January 29, 2015, 10:38:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

Not sure if this should be here or not so move it if not please.

We ran into a situation yesterday where a member deleted his posts in a thread which disrupted the flow of the thread. When the posts were put back, he edited them to the point where they needed deleting anyway.

So my question is, why are members allowed to delete posts after they've been responded to and especially when they're new here?

And why isn't there a time limit or something on editing posts?

:)
DO NOT pm me for support!

Arantor

The last question is the big one: because old posts get updated from time to time, e.g. some of the sticky posts.

Steve

Arantor

The edit window does not discriminate. It's simply everyone except for one of the moderator permissions (which one, I don't remember off hand but it might be moderate_forum, which if it is... is not given out generally here for various reasons)

Steve

It just seems to me there should be a relatively easy way to prevent the scenario in my first post. :)

Arantor

Actually I just checked the code.

Seems that the edit limit only applies to people editing their own posts, so yeah, drop that in for say an hour, half an hour max, and moderators should be able to change it.

margarett

IMO (and this is MY point of view, not the Team's) it is OK as it is.
Yes, every now and then a random user opts to mess up. But regularly speaking, the community is peaceful.

Restricting the permissions would harm the ones that usually use it for good purposes.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Arantor

How often do people edit their own posts an hour after originally posting, with legitimate intent?

Illori

Quote from: Arantor on January 29, 2015, 11:15:28 AM
How often do people edit their own posts an hour after originally posting, with legitimate intent?

i guess it mostly would effect mod authors that edit their first post in their support thread after updates.

Arantor

They do that now?

Easy way to fix that: modify the mod site to update the first post when the mod listing is updated.

Kindred

or just slap the idjits upside the head

I think this is a case of trying to "fix" something using features/code when its just a select few immature jerks who do it.

It's only happened 2-3 times that I know of, where someone did a mass edit like that because he was throwing a tantrum.

Other times, people do actually edit their first post with good intent.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

It's happened more times than that. I seem to recall you guys actually making a group specifically denying editing rights ;)

I still don't see many cases where people edit their posts with good intent - after an hour or so, barring the case of the mod listing.

Kindred

lol... yeah, we have that group...  O:)

the thing is...   by the time we add a user to that group, it's too late.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

I even think I know who caused it to be a thing. >:D

Deaks

this is why the person who is responding first should quote the post
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Steve

Quote from: Ρουνικ on January 29, 2015, 02:07:03 PM
this is why the person who is responding first should quote the post

Wait a sec ... are you saying a person can delete the first post of a thread if they're the ones that started it and even if there are replies after?

If so, imo, that needs to be changed.

I do see everyone's points about it not happening often but still ... it shouldn't be allowed unrestricted on this site imo. I can see how this shouldn't apply to the mod site.

Just my two cents worth. :P

Arantor

No, deleting first post requires being able to delete topics (a different permission) and not a thing here.

The comments about the mod site for the dedicated mod topics which are regular topics that do get updated...

Deaks

no i saying if you quote the post then the person can change their posts as much as they like but the initial post will remain in the quote ...
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Steve

Advertisement: