News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Entity 'nbsp' not defined

Started by Lycoris, January 29, 2015, 12:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lycoris

This is my first time posting here. Usually I can figure my problems out but this time I'm stumped. I had a data mishap earlier, thankfully I had backups, and I thought I had everything working. I noticed after the backup over half of the users avatars were missing. I thought I knew how to fix that, I was wrong. All I've done is created a new problem.

Half the time when I log in I'll get a full screen error that says,

QuoteThis page contains the following errors:

error on line 5 at column 36: Entity 'nbsp' not defined
Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error.

Unread Posts

I can still get into the forum just fine and everything, but that will pop up when a user logs in. I want to fix the error so it stops popping up. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Kindred

well, fist things first...

smf version?
url?
mods installed?

what "data mishap" did you have?
Did you recover form it by restoring a backup?  Backup of the database and/or files?

avatars missing?  missing as in - not present - or missing as in - broken image icon?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Lycoris

SMF- 2.0.8

The site is currently set as a registration-closed private site so providing a url probably wouldn't do much good, but I can if needed.

Mods- prior to the current incident I had SimplePortal, Who Is Viewing This Page?, Spoiler Tag, Dice Roller BBcode, Aeva Media, and Float BBCODE. Currently no mods are installed.

Mishap- I was attempting to integrate a chat-room for the site, but it didn't work. I reverted to a backup and noticed the avatars disappeared. It's around this time I noticed the error. You have to log in and out for it to appear.

Backup- I restored using the Backup Database option within SMF. I took the copy it provided earlier this morning before I did any tampering and loaded it onto the main database.

Avatars- Broken image icons is the more accurate way to phrase it.

More info- The error quoted in the original post is occurring less and less now for some reason. When I posted this I could log out then back in and the error would pop up. After just trying to get it to appear I logged in and out five times with no occurrence. I waited several minutes, tried again, no error.

TehCraw

Anything interesting in SMF's error log?
Any fool can write code that a computer can understand. Good programmers write code that humans can understand. - Martin Fowler

Kindred

just as a note...   the backup option in the SMF admin is unfortunately not a safe way to backup
(we have removed the option from 2.1, completely)

to take a backup of the database, you should use the backup options from your host control panel or phpmyadmin/export.

Additionally, realize -- that backup is ONLY the database...   it does not include any of the site files.

Finally...   there is no option to RESTORE a database from the smf admin -- so I assume that you restored directly into phpmyadmin?

So - if you restored the database, but not the files --  why were your mods uninstalled? Did you manually remove them?
(also, please note, you really should upgrade to 2.0.9, since that was a security release)

I would have to see the actual error to debug further...
(and, as Carvin mentions.... is there anything in the smf error log? What about your server side error log?)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: