News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

new and no clue

Started by kgi, January 29, 2015, 01:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kgi

hi all
I'm pretty new (I think they cal it noob) so I have no clue how to start
first, I own a website, hosted by one.com [nofollow] and I would love to add this forum to it for registred members
I used a WP theme to create my site and it is running.
When I read the manual to install this software, first step is 'create a database' but of course I have one running. Do I need to create a new database ??
thats my first question. I hope that any one of you peeps here is willing to help me get started...
please now that I'm a dutch speaking person, so I can help myself in english pretty well ... I hope
thx in advance

margarett

Hi and welcome ;)

No, you don't need another database. It's kinda better because if you have a serious problem in one of the softwares you can just go and play backup/restore without messing with the other
But if you want, you can use the same backup. Just make sure that you keep separate prefixes for the tables. WP is by default "wp_", SMF is by default "smf_" so you should be perfectly safe ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

kgi

OK thx :)  ... So next step is to upload to downloaded package to my site, let's try

Chas Large

I would add, from personal experience, that whilst this can be achieved using only one dB, it would be better to use a unique dB for your forum.

1. It makes any changes and upgrades easier as an upgrade may cause problems with your WP site.
2. It's easier to backup and edit one dB without interfering with the other.
3. If the SMF dB gets corrupted by a faulty mod install, it could stop the WP site from functioning and vice versa.

Hope this helps.
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

Kindred

Chas...   however, if the intention is to BRIDGE the WP and SMF installations, then having two databases can be problematic...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Chas Large

Quote from: Kindred on February 05, 2015, 10:29:16 AM
Chas...   however, if the intention is to BRIDGE the WP and SMF installations, then having two databases can be problematic...
Point taken, I gleaned from the OP that kgi had installed a WP "theme" on his site, presumably provided by a site installer in which case he may not have had experience with editing dBs. Just guesswork. ;)
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

Advertisement: