News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

looking for the right choice for our site

Started by aeonstar, January 29, 2015, 05:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aeonstar

Hi :) thanks for all the great info on smf in here.. its been a life saver.

i recently took over a pretty busy site with a active forum. hxxp:southerncaliforniahunting.com [nonactive]

we currently use Joomla for the main site with articles and news stories and such.  It's time to change and find something that integrates with our forum better. We are on pace to do 6million page views this year in the forum alone. so i guess that makes us mid size?

here is what i am after... we need to have a landing page that can show recent articles , news and advertising along with with new posts from the forum. We have a large back log of stories and news on the joomla site now and i understand that will have to get copied over to the new site. we are poised to grow and add writers so this has to be able to grow with us. Something along the lines of what hxxp:bdoutdoors.com [nonactive] has for their portal.

I thought about keeping joomla but its clunky and slow as death to load and with our growth i do not want to have to change a year or two from now.

any suggestions on what direction to go would be great!

br360

I think any one of the portal mods could do what you are looking for. Here is a link to the ones available- http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?action=search;basic_search=portal

I'm not sure, but I would think there would have to be a way to possibly import all of your news and articles over without having to copy them over one by one.

margarett

The main problem is, of course, if you want to import all that content into a different platform... :(
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Kindred

I found it easier to import joomla content into smf + ezportal + smf articles than to use either simple portal or tiny portal which have articles built in....

Simple portal articles are actually stored in the message table, which makes it slightly more complicated to import them....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: