News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Database Issue? When Moving an SMF Forum URL.

Started by Destrogath, January 30, 2015, 11:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destrogath

Background -- I have moved SMF urls for years never had an issue, however today I am running into an issue. I'll give you all the background before I give you the errors.

Old website url - with existing Database

New website url (now has wordpress in the root), smf is going in website.com/forum - has fresh SMF install and test Database I used to adjust a new theme design etc.

Now, when I load repair_settings.php in the new forum url in order to direct website.com/forum to the existing Database used in the old URL, I get an error that states there is an error on line 526, 527, and 528 of the repair_settings.php

$txt['theme_' . $id . '_theme_url'] = $theme['name'] . ' URL';
         $txt['theme_' . $id . '_images_url'] = $theme['name'] . ' Images URL';
         $txt['theme_' . $id . '_theme_dir'] = $theme['name'] . ' Directory';

I have removed the repair_settings and tried a new repair_settings file, no luck. All paths are correct in the repair_settings, all the user name, pw, database name, server name, etc are all correct as well.

Even if I hit "save", when I load the forum I get strange database error, I will post them here in a second.

Should I try backing up the old database, and loading it into the new SMF url and see if that works?

Kindred

1- if your old site and your new site are on different servers, then you are going to have issues... you can not access databases across servers.

2- when you move a site and use repair_settings, you need to do repair twice... 
once - update settings.php with the correct database info
the second time - update the information stored in the database (theme urls, etc) with the new site info.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Destrogath

Quote from: Kindred on January 30, 2015, 11:52:59 AM
1- if your old site and your new site are on different servers, then you are going to have issues... you can not access databases across servers.

2- when you move a site and use repair_settings, you need to do repair twice... 
once - update settings.php with the correct database info
the second time - update the information stored in the database (theme urls, etc) with the new site info.

Same host, new directories within my website. Example I put the old site in "test.website.com" (100% functional, 0 errors), put the new site at website.com. Right now, the old database is 100% functional in "test.website.com" where it was originally at "website.com".

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Destrogath

Destrogath

I think I found the issue.

It says my current smf software is 2.0.6, and the database is 2.0.1, could this be causing the db error?

margarett

Nop. The database isn't changed for a loooong time. So that's not a problem ;)

edit: are you using repair_settings from our downloads page? Which exact error are you getting?

edit2: is the "test database" a copy of the old one or a "freshly installed" one?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Destrogath

Quote from: margarett on January 30, 2015, 12:20:20 PM
Nop. The database isn't changed for a loooong time. So that's not a problem ;)

edit: are you using repair_settings from our downloads page?

Yes. I will post the error I get once I do the repair_settings.php.

Destrogath

In repair_settings.php

QuoteNotice: Undefined index: name in xxxx/forum/repair_settings.php on line 525

Notice: Undefined index: name in xxxx/forum/repair_settings.php on line 526

Notice: Undefined index: name in xxxx/ibwp/forum/repair_settings.php on line 527
Critical Settings

However, I got it work.

The only thing that seems broken now is my package manager.

Destrogath

Quote from: Destrogath on January 30, 2015, 12:33:51 PM
In repair_settings.php

QuoteNotice: Undefined index: name in xxxx/forum/repair_settings.php on line 525

Notice: Undefined index: name in xxxx/forum/repair_settings.php on line 526

Notice: Undefined index: name in xxxx/forum/repair_settings.php on line 527
Critical Settings

I got it work. The only thing that seems broken now is my package manager.

All my existing packages seem to be installed, but do not show up in the package manager. However, if I try to reinstall a package I get this error

QuotePackage upload failed due to the following error:
"The package you are trying to install cannot be located. You may want to manually upload the package to your Packages directory."

margarett

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Destrogath

Quote from: margarett on January 30, 2015, 12:50:07 PM
Are they in the Packages folder?

Well that explains that! hahaha. Somehow, my packages folder ended up in my smileys folder?? perhaps a misclick.

margarett

Advertisement: