News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

File permission problem with packages

Started by Martine M, January 30, 2015, 03:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martine M

Yes I know lots of topic about it and I read them all (so I think)
Running SMF 2.09

I get this message when I try to install packages.
"you cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!"
But I can download them only not install them.

Yet all the files are writeable, all set to 777 (after trying 775 and all) and checked by host en they said I have Full ownership as the post of K@ suggested.
I gave the people of the server the link to K@ his post.
Mod security was not yet installed on server. (but now they did)

Made a temp dir. in the package dir as suggested and backup dir. is there and both set to 777 and yet the same problem.

It is a Linux server,
Apache 2.4.10 Running
DirectAdmin 1.46.3 Running
Exim 4.84 Running
MySQL 5.5.31 Running
Named 9.8.2rc1 Running
sshd Running
dovecot 2.2.15 Running
pure-ftpd 1.0.36 Running
Php 5.5.19 Installed

The people of the server gave me this:

And this screenshot I made

They are trying to help but for now they don't see what the problem is, he said it could still be something in Apache but I think he is still searching so I hope someone maybe knows were to look?

Or is there something myself have not yet tried?

Running SMF 2.09 - Diego Andrés Theme Elegant Mind - TP 1.0 - Main Forum language English - Browser Firefox 33

Illori

Backup? it should be backup in lower case. temp is a folder not a file.

Kindred

also -- why would they have installed mod_security?   It is our recommendation to REMOVE that piece of junk...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Martine M

Sorry Illori, backup it is and yes temp is a folder sorry. (changed it in my text above)

Yep krindred I do not understand it either, I will tell them.
Running SMF 2.09 - Diego Andrés Theme Elegant Mind - TP 1.0 - Main Forum language English - Browser Firefox 33

Kindred

and are the temp and backup DIRECTORIES also 777?

(side note, -- if chown ownership of files was actually correctly set up, then 777 would not be needed. 755 would be quite sufficient)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Martine M

Yes all set to 777 to.

I will tell them what you said about chown ownership.

Martine M

I do not think they really know how to solve this problem.
One of them thinks it is a setting in Apache, they are convinced they gave full ownership.

I do not know anything about servers and Apache so are there any hints I can give them?

kat

If they don't understand that CHOWN ownership has to be given to all of your files and directories, including all sub-directories and their contents, I think you might need a new host, somehow, Martine...

Martine M

It is not my host K@
I am helping some friends out to set up this forum.
Thank god I am at a very good host. :)

The print screen I gave above the one that the server gave me what does that say to you in regards of chown ownership?
What is UID and GID?

I have send hem a mail a few minutes ago to ask them if they are sure the gave full ownership to the forum dir. itself, it was all I could think of at this point.

kat

UID: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_identifier

GID: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_identifier

Dunno what "dierenvrie" is, in English, though. :(

Online translators go "Eh?", too.

Problem is, even if everything seems to be OK, when you look at the CHMOD settings, the host's CHOWN setting override those. So, although files might seem to be write-enabled, if you don't OWN the files, they won't change.

Bit silly, really, coz you'd think the settings would say "Can't do that, coz you don't own the file(s)".

Martine M

Thanks K@ I'll go and read it in a second.

dierenvrienden is the name of the forumaccount.

They just set up a second forum I have to check out, they say these permissions would be correct.
I hop it is but that also means I got to start over. :(

To be continued......

Martine M

second forum same problem and they still keep saying full ownership has been given also on the forum dir.

In the new forum I saw that files were set at 666 and were writeable to (or looked), so I tried at the first forum the same but of coarse without luck.

Martine M

Ok they installed a 3th forum but this time on another server and that works fine now, permissions are set on 755 and 644 and setting.php at 600.

I do not know what they are going to do now of coarse, let me start from scratch at the 3th forum or find out now what the differences are between servers.

Martine M

Yep from scratch they are now doing something with an A record, to point the forum on the new server to the website on the old server from the same account. If I got it correctly.

I guess we will never exactly know what the problem is for sure.

This will take a few hours so I am of to bed.
Thanks for the help.  ;)

Mynamehere

I have the same issue, and the answers in this thread aren't helpful (at least, not at my skill level)

Mynamehere

My host told me to switch to Php 5.4, but that gave a 500-error...

Kindred

It sounds more like you have issues with your HOST than with SMF...
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: